Menu

Which Shakespeare play?

asmall

There three Shakespeare plays playing this month, and I would like to take my two girls ages 9 and 12. The plays are going to be Othello, As You Like It, and Love's Labours Lost. Which play would you pick to go to and why? I am trying to decide and need some help.

Thanks,

AL

Absolutely As You Like It. Othello is violent and sexual and full of racial issues that are probably more than you want to deal with for your girls right now. Love's Labours Lost has a pretty unsatisfying ending (which is why so many people thing that there was supposed to be a sequel). As You Like It is bright and funny and full of some of Shakespeare's favorite stage devices (gender-bending disguises, kind, noble daughters, the woods as a place of fantasy and discovery), as well as the "All the world's a stage" monolog. And I think Rosalind gets the last word.

As You Like It!

Not Othello, for the reasons listed above.

Either As You Like It or Love's Labour Lost are comedies, but I would lean toward LLL because your girls could watch the Kenneth Branagh version beforehand to have a clue about the play. Netflix has it.

The KB version is a very fun musical. It must have been incredibly challenging to put together!!!

Not Othello, for the reasons listed above.

Either As You Like It or Love's Labour Lost are comedies, but I would lean toward LLL because your girls could watch the Kenneth Branagh version beforehand to have a clue about the play. Netflix has it.

The KB version is a very fun musical. It must have been incredibly challenging to put together!!!

Is that the one that is essentially a Cole Porter musical?