Menu

Skipping over RightStart A and going to B with 4 year old?

OrganicMom

Forgive me if I've missed prior posts.

Someone on the Sonlight forums mentioned that when using RightStart Math with my 4.5 year old (boy in preschool) and almost 7 year old (2nd grade- just finishing Singapore 1b, miquon red, and horizon 1 book 2), instead of doing A and B levels I should just get B and slow it down a bit for my youngest son.

Anyone else have experience with this?

Would it cause too much work for ME?

My son and daughter already need lots of help staying focused, etc... it worth the money?

How would the worksheets play out?

Would he be missing something?

I'm unsure if I would be confident in skipping the shorter simpler lessons...

but if it really works and is super easy/intuitive then i could maybe do it...

thoughts? experiences?

I think A is great for a 4-5 year old. I think B would be way too much. You end up doing two digist mental math addition and other difficult concepts. I would definitely do Level A with a 4 year old.

:iagree: You can always do a couple of lessons a day of level A if he is enjoying it and doing well, but I would not skip right to B.

I have triplets with some minor developmental delays. They function like normal kids a year younger. We started A when they were 6 1/2, so more like typical 5 1/2 year olds. Two did OK, and one was completely lost. Maybe a 4 year old could do A, but I definitely wouldn't try B with a 4 year old!

It is good to hear you all say these things. I agree that picking up the pace and over communicating basic principles in different ways is better than pushing him along when he is just starting out.

My whole point with even bringing my daughter down to level B (even though she might be able to do level C) is to make sure that she has a sure foundation in this way of thinking... i don't want my Son to get an abbreviated version either.

OK. All these comments go with my gut feeling.

BUT just to be clear, even if I SLOWED level B down you still think level A is much better? :)

At an older age I definitely think you can skip A, but at this age I would definitely start with A

I'm the odd one out, I guess. I started RS B with my daughter at 4 yrs, 9 months. We did about a half a lesson at a time, and only did math about 3 days a week. So that averaged out to 1.5 lessons a week or so. If she needed to, we would repeat lessons, but it wasn't a problem very often. It laid a great foundation and we completed level B by the end of grade 1.

For my son, I did decide to get A, and we started when he was a young 4. He is also on track to finish B by he end of grade 1. So we will end up at the same place.

Either way, RS is a great program and lays a great foundation.

I skipped A and started with B for Kinder with my DD who was 5 at the time. This worked well. It does get harder towards the end where you may have to go slower, but I don't think it's worth buying both A and B.

I'm thinking about starting with B with my DS who is almost 5 too.

BUT just to be clear, even if I SLOWED level B down you still think level A is much better? :)

I do. I used both with my daughter, and don't regret it at all. There's no rush at this age, and the pacing was perfect for her. She had fun with it and felt confident about math and looked forward to doing it. To me that's worth a lot more than getting through the levels more quickly, and it's worth the price of the extra book, too. :001_smile:

:)

Forgive me if I've missed prior posts.

Someone on the Sonlight forums mentioned that when using RightStart Math with my 4.5 year old (boy in preschool) and almost 7 year old (2nd grade- just finishing Singapore 1b, miquon red, and horizon 1 book 2), instead of doing A and B levels I should just get B and slow it down a bit for my youngest son.

Anyone else have experience with this?

Would it cause too much work for ME?

My son and daughter already need lots of help staying focused, etc... it worth the money?

How would the worksheets play out?

Would he be missing something?

I'm unsure if I would be confident in skipping the shorter simpler lessons...

but if it really works and is super easy/intuitive then i could maybe do it...

thoughts? experiences?

I started Right Start A two years ago with a 4.5 year old who *still* needs lots of help staying focused.

I would definitely go with RS A unless your son is a math prodigy who absolutely begs for more. RS A is a fantastic program for kindergarten students, and very age appropriate.

B, on the other hand, is really quite intense. It starts with a short review period and then rapidly becomes challenging. It's just not something to be rushed, in my opinion. And starting it at more like 5.5 is a good thing!

The good news is that I have been extremely happy with the foundation my daughter now has after completing RS A and B. I can't give it up, in fact, and we are now starting Level C.

One other specific tip I would give you is to break each lesson in both A and B into two parts. The lessons are meaty, and it's best to do shorter, focused sessions instead of working past their little attention spans.

I just started Level A with my brand new 5 year old son, and doing just half a lesson is about right. Sometimes that means we work for only 10 minutes in math . . . but that's ok . . . he's *just* starting kindergarten, and I know from experience that Right Start definitely gets more challening.

HTH.

I'll be the voice of dissent here. I dislike Level A even though I love, love, :001_wub: Level B. Level A has too much of a "spiral" format for my tastes. It jumps around from topic to topic in a very disjointed fashion IMHO. Level B has more of a "mastery" format, though there are reviews built in daily as warm-ups.

I started my oldest in Level B at 4 yrs. 10 mos. and took it slowly. She flew through the first 40 or so lessons and then slowed way down. It ended up taking her 13 months schooling year-round to finish.

My 2nd child started B at 5 yrs. 3 mos. after I had tried a bunch of other programs with him (he had finished MEP Reception and most of 1A, and Singapore 1A textbook only). It took him 13 months to finish a combo of RS B, Singapore 1A IP, and Singapore 1B textbook & IP.

I think a bright student will be perfectly fine skipping Level A and starting in B in K.

There is a lot in level A that you would miss. I don't see why you would want to go onto level B. You can always speed up or slow down on each level to mirror where your child is at. Sometimes we do 2-3 lessons in a day. Sometimes we do a lesson a week. It really just depends on the concepts. RS is not that much work for the mom. After a few weeks of using it, it is easy. There are just a few things you need to prep and you can take care of those beforehand.

I bought A for my 5yo dd to use, but after a bit she wanted to do B like her big brother. For my 3rd child he needed to do A first.

You will not miss anything by skipping A, but it helped me slow down B in a way that was fun for the chlild and easy for me.

well... this poses a 2nd question then.

if it is so easy to skip A, for some...

(i think i AM going to stay with A through due to my son's personality and other issues - but this may change)

THEN should I even have my daughter in level B!? she seemed to test right on the line btwn b & c levels...

but it seemed that B lays the foundation for how RightStart works.

She will be coming from Horizon 1 book 1 and half of book 2, Miqion orang book done and part of red, and then Singapore 1b completed with some bumps in that road...

I'm the odd one out, I guess. I started RS B with my daughter at 4 yrs, 9 months. We did about a half a lesson at a time, and only did math about 3 days a week. So that averaged out to 1.5 lessons a week or so. If she needed to, we would repeat lessons, but it wasn't a problem very often. It laid a great foundation and we completed level B by the end of grade 1.

For my son, I did decide to get A, and we started when he was a young 4. He is also on track to finish B by he end of grade 1. So we will end up at the same place.

Either way, RS is a great program and lays a great foundation.

How did the few worksheets fare through this and repeating lessons? I don't mind repeating lessons :)

Was it much more work on your part to slow it down? did you have to improvise at all?

:)

I started Right Start A two years ago with a 4.5 year old who *still* needs lots of help staying focused.

I would definitely go with RS A unless your son is a math prodigy who absolutely begs for more. RS A is a fantastic program for kindergarten students, and very age appropriate.

B, on the other hand, is really quite intense. It starts with a short review period and then rapidly becomes challenging. It's just not something to be rushed, in my opinion. And starting it at more like 5.5 is a good thing!

The good news is that I have been extremely happy with the foundation my daughter now has after completing RS A and B. I can't give it up, in fact, and we are now starting Level C.

One other specific tip I would give you is to break each lesson in both A and B into two parts. The lessons are meaty, and it's best to do shorter, focused sessions instead of working past their little attention spans.

I just started Level A with my brand new 5 year old son, and doing just half a lesson is about right. Sometimes that means we work for only 10 minutes in math . . . but that's ok . . . he's *just* starting kindergarten, and I know from experience that Right Start definitely gets more challening.

HTH.

Is there a place in the lessons that you always stop at? or is it really just looking at your child, looking how much time you spent so far, and then looking at how much of the lesson is left?

also, if one had a choice to start a rising 2nd grader who is knew to rightstart in B or C would you go to B to help seal a foundation? or would you just do the transitional lessons and go to C?

There is a lot in level A that you would miss. I don't see why you would want to go onto level B.

Everything in A is covered at a faster pace in B. That's why folks who go straight on to B after finishing A without taking a break start not at lesson 1 but somewhere in the middle of the book (I forget the specific lesson).

also, if one had a choice to start a rising 2nd grader who is knew to rightstart in B or C would you go to B to help seal a foundation? or would you just do the transitional lessons and go to C?

The beginning part of C reviews the material covered in B, so my vote would be starting in Transitions and then doing C.

The beginning part of C reviews the material covered in B, so my vote would be starting in Transitions and then doing C.

is there always a lot of review with rightstart? from what i read it said they were both master method and cyclical? how does that work exactly :)

also, is everyone find that hey are hearing of people droping rightstart at a certain level?

i know everyone is different BUT you know how some maths are better just at first or only until later? i had heard someone say they dropped it at level C or after C b/c that is when many have said it changes or others were dropping of at that time...

I'm going to be having singapore on the back burner to do here and there or to do later.

THEN should I even have my daughter in level B!? she seemed to test right on the line btwn b & c levels...

but it seemed that B lays the foundation for how RightStart works.

I would DEFINITELY do B - it's the best of the series!! You will miss what is phenomenal about RS if you skip it. If she was clearly testing in C, it would be one thing, but if you aren't sure, do B. No question!!

It MAY be that our finances end up deciding if we order A or not... I can always bring in A later if needed, I guess I will just have to wait and see.

This is NOT CLEAR to me though: When re-doing lessons or possibly having kids share a level... do i always need extra worksheets in both ways?

Most everything from level A is in level B, but it is taught at a different level. Level A is much more laid back which is better for pre-K IMHO. Almost all of the manipulatives used in A are also used in B so you will have to get those anyway. You can buy the teacher's book relatively cheaply used. There are not that many worksheets in B so that won't be a problem. I copy them for my kids anyway so I only buy one copy. My son tested in between levels B and C, but I am very glad I did B because there is a lot of wonderful stuff in there. We sometimes do 2-3 lessons a day or skip a couple of lessons, but it was definitely worth the money. Unless they are very knowledgeable about the abacus, I would definitely do B.

Edited to add: for pre-K, we spend a lot of time playing the RS math games. I think this is some of the best preparation for math in K and above.

Edited by kristinannie

Most everything from level A is in level B, but it is taught at a different level. Level A is much more laid back which is better for pre-K IMHO. Almost all of the manipulatives used in A are also used in B so you will have to get those anyway. You can buy the teacher's book relatively cheaply used. There are not that many worksheets in B so that won't be a problem. I copy them for my kids anyway so I only buy one copy. My son tested in between levels B and C, but I am very glad I did B because there is a lot of wonderful stuff in there. We sometimes do 2-3 lessons a day or skip a couple of lessons, but it was definitely worth the money. Unless they are very knowledgeable about the abacus, I would definitely do B.

Edited to add: for pre-K, we spend a lot of time playing the RS math games. I think this is some of the best preparation for math in K and above.

Ok, thanks for this. I am coming from doing 3 different maths with my daughter and am about to scale back to just RightStart and MAYBE singapore after we are done with a level in rightstart, that is if we get done quicker :) so... all this to say, i'm making room for lots of game time... and hoping that all three of us my self and a pre-k and 2nd grader can play these games together, a lot.

also, is everyone find that hey are hearing of people droping rightstart at a certain level?

i know everyone is different BUT you know how some maths are better just at first or only until later? i had heard someone say they dropped it at level C or after C b/c that is when many have said it changes or others were dropping of at that time...

I'm going to be having singapore on the back burner to do here and there or to do later.

I switch my kids to Singapore after C because the higher levels of RS have too much review and not enough new material. D and E combined have about a single year's worth of material spread out over the two levels. If RS were less expensive, I might consider getting them and just condensing. But not at ~$100 per level.

I switch my kids to Singapore after C because the higher levels of RS have too much review and not enough new material. D and E combined have about a single year's worth of material spread out over the two levels. If RS were less expensive, I might consider getting them and just condensing. But not at ~$100 per level.

what singapore level did they transition to after level C?

How did the few worksheets fare through this and repeating lessons? I don't mind repeating lessons :)

Was it much more work on your part to slow it down? did you have to improvise at all?

For the worksheets, we would sometimes do half one day and half the next. The workbook does grant permission to copy for use with a single child, so you could certainly copy the sheets to use more than once.

I basically did the program as written. We would work for 15-20 minutes (in K, increased to 30-40 minutes in 1st). I would mark where we left off with a post it flag. The next time we did math, we would pick up where we left off. We also played games several times a week. I would recommend getting the games manual, even though the instructions for the "needed" games are in the Level A & B manuals, as there are lots of other fun games as well.

I found the program very easy to use. :)

FWIW, If your kids are highly distractible, RS may not be they way to go. My DD is HIGHLY visual so i thought RS would be great since she could SEE everything she was doing. However, she is also HIGHLY distractible and ultimately we found the manipulatives too much for her.

hmm, that could be a good point. I think my DD is visual or auditory i still don't know yet for sure. but i know that lots of review is what she needs and she loves games and lots of workbooks shut her down if she isn't getting it yet/doesn't understand it yet... and she is HIGHLY distractable at times... (ADHD)

worst case: I have B for my DS to use. :)

For the worksheets, we would sometimes do half one day and half the next. The workbook does grant permission to copy for use with a single child, so you could certainly copy the sheets to use more than once.

I basically did the program as written. We would work for 15-20 minutes (in K, increased to 30-40 minutes in 1st). I would mark where we left off with a post it flag. The next time we did math, we would pick up where we left off. We also played games several times a week. I would recommend getting the games manual, even though the instructions for the "needed" games are in the Level A & B manuals, as there are lots of other fun games as well.

so, ease of use on the other side of teacher intensive - love it! :D esp. since no matter the math program I'm already having to be right there with every action with both children. love ease of use.

so the game manual is extra/not included in any of the kits including deluxe!? i guess i can check on this one my self too :)

is this the manual that needs to be extra/not included? http://store.rightstartmath.com/mathcardgames4thedition.aspx

Edited by OrganicMom
*Sorry, this book IS included in the Deluxe Kit - thanks for making sure I get this i can see how helpful this would be.

Ok, good, I see you found it. I must have bought the basic Level B starter kit. Then later I added the Games book, and eventually I bought the Level A manual (my level A is old enough it has the worksheets printed as masters in the back of the teacher's guide). This has worked well for us.

About switching... I did switch DD to Math Mammoth for grade 2 (hoping it would be more independent - NOT!). We are switching yet again to Beast Academy for grade 3 onward. For DS, either Beast will have grade 2 out by then, or we will continue with RS through level C.

Heather

My kids are staying in RS through at least level E. I wouldn't agree with the above review for my oldest. She did Level D last year in 4th grade, and it was perfect in terms of material and pace for her. Her standardized testing scores rose dramatically this year, so I am pleased with her math year.

My rising third grader will start Level D this year, and he will probably move through it faster than my oldest. He would move quickly and easily through any math program, so I wouldn't use my experience with him as a basis for providing advice. I am convinced that he has naturally learned all his math thus far and the math "teaching" is just for me.

ETA: I will be putting my almost 6yo Ker through RS A this fall and moving him into Level B in the spring. I think A is perfectly paced to provide the beginning student with a fun, enriching math experience. I find that using these materials sets a great tone for our teacher/student relationship.

Is there a place in the lessons that you always stop at? or is it really just looking at your child, looking how much time you spent so far, and then looking at how much of the lesson is left?

After a while, you'll just get a feel for when you're approximately half way through a lesson. :) It's especially easy in Level A, when there seems to be a distinct change of topics.

Sometimes a good chunk of the lesson is actually in the Warm-Ups, so there are many days you might get through the warm-up and then just a relatively small piece of new work before getting to the "half way" point.

I would absolutely *not* skip B. It's a fantastic level, and well worth your time. Completely appropriate for the vast majority of rising 2nd graders, imo. It's not like you'll be behind if you're wrapping up Level B by the end of 2nd grade. Many people even go into 3rd before they finish that level, because it is so meaty.

HTH. :)

FWIW, If your kids are highly distractible, RS may not be they way to go. My DD is HIGHLY visual so i thought RS would be great since she could SEE everything she was doing. However, she is also HIGHLY distractible and ultimately we found the manipulatives too much for her.

And just for a different viewpoint, I think Right Start is the *perfect* math program for my highly distractible daughter. She loves the one-on-one attention, the manipulatives, and the games. She doesn't have much of an opportunity to zone out because I am right there with her the whole time. :)

hmm, that could be a good point. I think my DD is visual or auditory i still don't know yet for sure. but i know that lots of review is what she needs and she loves games and lots of workbooks shut her down if she isn't getting it yet/doesn't understand it yet... and she is HIGHLY distractable at times... (ADHD)

worst case: I have B for my DS to use. :)

Have you looked at Horizons Math for spiral review? It is bright, colorful, and fun. Each worksheet has a variety of problems for review, which results in less frustration if the child is not "getting something."

We use this in conjunction with RightStart and it has been a good combination for us. I buy the workbooks only for Horizons.

We just completed Grade K using Sonlight (Core A) and RS Math A. We completed RS A and are a ways into B since DS was accelerated. Yes, we skipped to the starting point in B past A reviews, but the review is a VERY fast-paced and a condensed version of A. For a pre-K child I would be very hesitant to start with B. You may be able to overlap and combine (with some effort), but simply learning to use the abacus takes time, as do the basics which provide a foundation for the program. If you do decide to try to use B for ease, the levels of the two seem incongruous enough that it would be worth the effort to try to find a used version of A (at least as a backup) if you find you need help expanding on certain concepts/slowing down for your youngest. Good luck! It is a WONDERFUL program and worth the time it takes to teach it.

Ok, thanks for this. I am coming from doing 3 different maths with my daughter and am about to scale back to just RightStart and MAYBE singapore after we are done with a level in rightstart, that is if we get done quicker :) so... all this to say, i'm making room for lots of game time... and hoping that all three of us my self and a pre-k and 2nd grader can play these games together, a lot.

Your kids can definitely play games together. I try to do a mix of games so that some of them are aimed at my youngest and review for my oldest and some are for my oldest and my daughter is on my team. We play these a family about three nights a week after dinner and sometimes during school. I love the games!

With a 4 year-old I would definitely do RS A first. My son at 5.5 is well into B and it gets pretty challenging even slowing way down. RS A is super fun and great at cementing concepts. I love B too, but I feel like I'm working a little harder to make it as fun as A for my kiddo.

My kids are staying in RS through at least level E. I wouldn't agree with the above review for my oldest. She did Level D last year in 4th grade, and it was perfect in terms of material and pace for her. Her standardized testing scores rose dramatically this year, so I am pleased with her math year.

RS covers in D & E about the same amount of new material as Singapore does in 3A/B (though there isn't perfect overlap as RS covers more in certain areas like geometry and Singapore covers more in others like long division).

• 2 weeks later...