Menu

History Curriculum

tm_burriss

Looking for a History curriculum that can be used by all my kids ages 12, 9, and 6. I had planned on SOTW along with Usbourne Encyclopedia but am wondering if my oldest is beyond that now. This is our very first year homeschooling so I am very much a newbie.

I use SOTW for all my kids grades 1st-8th. I just require my oldest one to do more work (such as more outside reading and taking tests). I would suggest the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia for the 12-year-old (as well as the tests...can be purchased at Peace Hill Press in PDF form inexpensively), and use the SOTW activity book for all. Many of the activities can be completed by older students (I find the activities fun to do myself, so they will too).

I'm using SOTW 1 with my 11 and 9 yo. I plan to use it all the way through volume 4. My oldest does extra work, including reading and discussing excerpts from K12's Human Odyssey made by Kate in Arabia here on the Hive: http://www.scribd.com/doc/60373372/SOTW-and-Human-Odyssey

I think it is a fine spine for Logic stage and am happy with our choice. I love having the kids combined for history.

I always use a variety of resources with all students. My boys (in the past) and my current tutoring students are used to me pulling out "baby" books and have come to appreciate their use. They also are not afraid for me to pull out a resources years above their current level, to look at a few pictures and just read a paragraph from.

I'm a firm believer in older students attending a low level history read aloud and then adding in something more challenging later in the day--or not.

I read "baby" books to myself all the time, and learn a TON from them. Often far more than books aimed at my educational level. Especially when I am tired and sick.

Middle school and high school students are often tired after an intensive math or writing lesson. Listening to an "easy" history read aloud is often the best way for them to rest up a bit for the next challenge. At the end of the day, if they were not challenged in all subjects, they were often better able to focus where they most needed to.

This year we'll be using lots of living books with mapping, narrations, and a few projects. I plan on using a variety of age levels in the books I pick.

Have you looked at Mystery of History? I've heard it's best for grades 6-8, but it would also have activities for the younger ages...I plan on using it in another year.

I like Biblioplan or My Father's World. MFW also adds in science, art, music, and literature if you like, but you wouldn't have to use those parts. MFW uses SOTW 3 years (not year 1), and adds a year of Exploring Countries and Cultures.

Seconding this. It uses SOTW.

:iagree:

I am also agreeing.

My DS is only in 3rd grade but we love doing SOTW with Biblioplan, I thought at first I would not do it all but I am finding it VERY helpful for extras. We love it and will continue to use it with all of the History! :)