Menu

Singapore users: Remind me why I'm using the SE

Element

Last semester we used the Standards Edition HIG, txt, and workbook. We later tried the IP and CWP books and- wow!- those seem to be a lot "meatier" than the SE workbook and extra practice books. I'm considering dropping the workbook and just doing the IP & CWP along with the lessons from the HIG & textbook. The workbook problems aren't the slightest bit challenging for my ds.

My question is: If I am using the CWP and IP from the US ed, should I continue to teach from the SE HIG and text? Or should I just use the US HIG and text? It is far easier to find used US ed Singapore items than it is to find used SE items.

I wouldn't switch to US Ed just to line it up with the CWP and IP. They are challenging even for the US Ed and don't necessarily correspond better. The differences in US Ed vs SE isn't the meatiness. It's a slight variation on the order topics are introduced and a couple of additional things added in to the SE to meet CA state requirements. We started off the US Ed and switched to SE.

Question in a similar vein: Could one teach from SE, then use the SWP and IP from US edition at the same level?

We will be finishing up 1A soon and moving onto 1B. When we finish level one, I was thinking of doing the CWP and IP books before moving on to level 2. Would this work, or would DD be running into completely new concepts? I don't want this time to be a new teaching time, just a chance to go more in depth into concepts we've already learned.

We will be finishing up 1A soon and moving onto 1B. When we finish level one, I was thinking of doing the CWP and IP books before moving on to level 2. Would this work, or would DD be running into completely new concepts?

That is what we have done over the summer with my slightly less mathy dd. I don't think she would have been able to do the IP and CWP along with the regular stuff. However, working through the IP after the semester (I wouldn't wait the whole year) has been the perfect amount of challenge for her.

The SE has additional topics not covered in the U.S. ed. and some topics are taught earlier in the sequence. So not all the chapters in the SE textbook will have corresponding problems in the IP. But everything in the U.S. ed. is covered in the SE.

If you use the HIG, I would recommend continuing on with the SE. I have used both the U.S. ed. HIG's and the SE HIG's and the latter is significantly better. The SE has a lot more handholding and guidance for the teacher.

The SE has a lot more handholding and guidance for the teacher.

Aaaaaand sold. :001_smile:

Thank you. This is exactly what I was looking for. I knew there was a reason I initially started purchasing the SE instead of the US, but I couldn't remember what it was. I absolutely need any extra handholding I can get.

If you don't mind: What do you think about giving up the workbook?

If you don't mind: What do you think about giving up the workbook?

Neither of my kids use it for PM. They do text + IP + CWP and if they need additional practice on certain topics, I use the Math Mammoth single-topic "blue" worktexts. I prefer Maria Miller's step-by-step-by-step explanations to Singapore's leaps when it comes to tricky topics like multi-digit multiplication, long division, and fractions. The MM blue are also more cost-effective than buying the Singapore workbooks each semester and only using 1-2 chapters of each.

Neither of my kids use it for PM. They do text + IP + CWP and if they need additional practice on certain topics, I use the Math Mammoth single-topic "blue" worktexts. I prefer Maria Miller's step-by-step-by-step explanations to Singapore's leaps when it comes to tricky topics like multi-digit multiplication, long division, and fractions. The MM blue are also more cost-effective than buying the Singapore workbooks each semester and only using 1-2 chapters of each.

Thank you. We used a MM blue unit to get through one tricky spot last year, and I totally agree about Maria Miller's step-by-step instructions being ever so helpful! I think I just needed the "go-ahead" from someone who has btdt and given up the workbook. I always needed so much practice with math as a child, so it's hard for me to let go of a workbook built in to a program. He just doesn't seem to need it, though, so I'm going to let it go for now.

I have Math Mammoth on my computer. I print out some for my daughter when she needs some extra review.

hmmm...I didn't think about the IP & CWP not lining up? What would happen if you did it at the same time? Would you encounter problems the child doesn't know how to do in the extra books? What about placing it 10 lessons behind or something? :001_huh:

We're going to be using Miquon Labs to introduce the topic, Singapore as the main, and some worksheets from MEP as extras ( I found a chart that links SM with Miquon, now I just need one with Correlates MEP with SM, so I can figure out when to plop in a MEP day.

Do you mind sharing the SM/Miquon chart?

Sure, it took me a while to find it, as all the links related to the web.archive, which that website has now been excluded from.

But I finally found it at Yahoo Groups. Join a Group called "Miquon-Key" and its in the files section (either in the main folder or a folder called helps or singapore or something)

Its a pity someone went to the trouble of doing that, when for SM & MEP whenever somebody asks about it they say (oh you don't need a correlation, or plan, you just plonk it in :tongue_smilie: ) it would be nice to know how they link up with topics, especially when I just want to add a few sheets of MEP to SM. I may have to just find the topic/lessons overview of MEP (MEP confuses me so much with trying to find certain things)

xxx