Menu

Has anyone done WWS with no WWE background?

Did it work? Did you have to fill in gaps?

How independent is WWS? Can students do some days alone, most days alone, no days alone, all days alone???

I'm increasing my work hours this year (ugh) and am looking for a program that is more scheduled for our LA program.

THANKS for taking time to reply!!!

My ds worked with WWS in 5th this year. We tried WWE once or twice, but it never took off. I did not implement any writing program before WWS and I have not found it to be an issue. My ds has actually really enjoyed the program. Since we waited for Amazon to release it WWS we did not get started until late January, so we will still be working on this book next year.

Overall, WWS is independent when I use it here. My ds will read the days work and do the assignment. I only check his work against the rubric provided or suggested responses. If I can really tell he did not understand what was asked we will discuss it and we will work through each step, but overall it has been very hands off for me.

My son has started WWS and never did WWE. He is only about 2 weeks into it though. So far he enjoys it and hasn't had any difficulties. He finished a lot of Jump In prior to starting it. He has been able to do it independently thus far and I've just gone over his work with him afterwards.

Thank you ALL for taking the time to reply with your thoughts.

Just one more question: Did you find the instructor's manual critical, helpful, nice, or reasonably unnecessary?

Looks like WWS might just work for us this year.

Thank you ALL for taking the time to reply with your thoughts.

Just one more question: Did you find the instructor's manual critical, helpful, nice, or reasonably unnecessary?

Looks like WWS might just work for us this year.

This might answer your question:lol:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?p=3307308#post3307308

DS never used WWE, and WWS (through week 14 in spring) worked well, and he liked it better than other programs used to date. I also work full time, so a lot was done independently, and there were only questions on about 2 or 3 days total so far. It does get more challenging, however. I haven't used the Instructor Manual much, at least yet, but I do think it's worthwhile.

My oldest used WWS independently, without any WWE background, and didn't have any trouble with it. But, he used it in 8th grade, so I can't speak for how a younger kid would do with it. The instructor's manual was very helpful.

you absolutely need the teacher's book.

There are a few scripted assignments in there. It is written to the teacher, but there are many times that a student isn't to complete the assignment without showing the first part to the instructor first etc. It needs guidance and input from the instructor. The instructor looks to the instructor book to know what is needed from them.

DS13 is doing WWS pretty much independently in conjunction with IEW. He was in Christian school last year so he didn't do WWE and is getting along in it just fine. I, however, have found the IG to be invaluable. There are rubrics in it for grading each writing piece as well as hints and tips on how to help out with each assignment if they need it.

My dd had no experience with WWE and she has sailed with WWS. In the early section of WWS there is plenty of review on narrations, and it was recommended to me by the PHP staff that if she struggled with narrations at that point it would be the clue to step back to WWE4. Since we had no issue with it, we didn't need to do that.

If you haven't already, you should watch

by SWB. She gives a really good overview of WWS1 and why you will need the IG.

Although your student will be able to work independently on the most part, you will need to interact with him at certain points in the program and also follow along closely with what he's doing as you check his work, etc. I am a working mom and feel that of all the subjects I need to be available to connect with dd the most on is her writing with WWS. Even so, she doesn't need to be handheld all of the time, I just need to be involved.

Over all, WWS is a wonderful program. My dd loves it and has begun to really flourish with her writing skills through using it.

Blessings,

Lucinda