Menu

Help me decide what chew things to try...

My oldest two kids have the worst chewing fixations. Dd may be the worst because she chews in things like hair clippies (and then I get mad when I grab a slobbery clippie), she also chews her hair. ODS used to be much worse and would chew on cuffs and collars. Now he limits himself more. Now he chews on things like headphone cords and straws. I've read about people making pencil toppers out of refrigerator tubing, but doesn't that get spit everywhere?

Also if you have 2 who chew - how do you keep their chewies from getting mixed up? How do you clean them and how often?

I think it's so bizzare that my youngest, who is a sensory seeker, doesn't chew and the other two do. It's like they had to make sure they had something to deal with lol

My neuro-typical child is like this. I've replaced more shirts for him (he chews sleeves and necks). I almost wish we had chewies for him (gum, etc. won't work it has to be something on him all the time because he won't carry anything around).

Pediatric psychologist thought it was more a factor of his active personality. He channels the activity into chewing and behaves appropriately indoors/in groups/focusing on something/etc.

Can't you just give them gum?

Well not really. I don't like all the junk in gum. Plus they pull it out of their mouths, which is nasty, and they want a new piece whenever the flavor starts to wear off.

Ghee, something that I would ask, is if when doing things with their hands, does their mouth move at the same time?

Their is a neo-natal reflex called the Palmomental Reflex. Where retention of this can be associated with obsessive chewing.

Ditto to the suggestion of chewytubes. Textiles are also a safe thing to chew so maybe a similar texture as the sleeve cuffs. I do think you need to be careful because chewing up toys and stuff like that can be a risk for stuff in plastics and also for lead poisoning.

Some parents also report that zinc supplements are helpful in reducing the behavior.

DS chews (lots of torn shirt collars here in the past). He likes the chewelry necklaces I got him from http://www.nationalautismresources.com/chewelry.html (they have several to choose from - we got the first one pictured on this page for $7.95). Since you need them for two kids, you could get them in different colors so the kids can tell them apart. As for washing, you just wash them with soap and water as needed (I wash them every other day or so).

Made a big difference here! ;)

Edited by Dandelion