Menu

If you've done an OT approach to phonics...

Gentlemommy

How did you help your kids memorize all of the phonograms and their sounds??? My dd is having a really hard time with this and I'm not creative lol. She is 7, a rising second grader, doing VT currently. So far, I've just been showing her the card, telling her the name of the phonogram, and the sounds. WRTR and HTTS both recommend 3-4 per DAY, but after five or so days of this, she forgets the old ones and mixes up the new ones I'm introducing. Any ideas on how to cement them for her? We are at a standstill until she memorizes them, and in the meantime, I know her reading and definitely her writing is being hampered. :confused:

Also-did it work best to teach a phonogram, for example a, and all the sounds it makes? OR teach the SOUND, and all the phonograms that make that sound? I know that WRTR teaches the first way, but some right brained approach phonics programs teach it the second way. I'm confused. :confused:

Lay all the cards out face up. You say the sound, she gives you the card. OR have her say the sound and you find the card.

Have her write the phonograms when you say them (start with ones she knows). My eldest HAD to write them down - we call it writing them on his brain.

Make some game cards and play memory - but she has to name the phonogram to pick up the pair. (Or name each as she turns them over.)

Choose a few cards and lay them vertically (you'll have to see how many she can handle at one time - I'd start with 3-4). Make a ladder and go up then down.

How did you help your kids memorize all of the phonograms and their sounds??? My dd is having a really hard time with this and I'm not creative lol. She is 7, a rising second grader, doing VT currently. So far, I've just been showing her the card, telling her the name of the phonogram, and the sounds. WRTR and HTTS both recommend 3-4 per DAY, but after five or so days of this, she forgets the old ones and mixes up the new ones I'm introducing. Any ideas on how to cement them for her? We are at a standstill until she memorizes them, and in the meantime, I know her reading and definitely her writing is being hampered. :confused:

Spalding (Spalding is the method; WRTR is the manual) doesn't have the children memorize the phonograms by looking at them. With the first 26, the teacher says the sound, the children repeat the sound, the teacher shows and describes to the children exactly how each letter is formed, the children write the phonograms while saying the sounds, then they write each phonogram several times while saying the sound(s). No one says the "name" of the phonogram, only the sound(s). Daily review of all phonograms includes the teacher dictating the phonograms to the children, then "flashing" the phonogram cards and the children say the sounds. The teacher remediates any phonograms which need it, and then teaches the new phonograms.

After the first 26 are taught, then the multiple-letter phonograms are taught, the same way the first 26 were.

You might take a look at some of the resources here:

http://soundcityreading.com/

I like the printables here:

http://www.sparklebox.co.uk/literacy/alphabet/

This site has lots of printable resources also:

http://www.fcrr.org/Curriculum/studentCenterActivities.shtm

The Phonics Toolkit has a set of cards with an image plus the phoneme to help the child remember its sound. You can view a sample in Google books.

Edited by MomatHWTK

So far, I've just been showing her the card, telling her the name of the phonogram, and the sounds.

I would try to avoid using a method of, essentially, visual rote memorization with a kid who is in the middle of VT. Even after the more basic vision issue is straightened out with VT, some kids with vision issues also need work on visual processing and visual memory, which may well be part of the VT. Unfortunately, I don't know phonics curricula, though I'd look for ones that have a multi-dimensional approach (such as the one Ellie describes above, with learning the sound and writing the letters), and/or curricula designed for dyslexics, etc.

(Also, to keep in the back of your mind, it's possible for a student with vision issues to have more than one learning thing going on, e.g., some dyslexia or other language processing issues, auditory issues, etc.)

I made cards to put on the floor to have my ds hop to each one and tell me the sounds. Sometimes he had to tell me the sound before he hopped and other times he hopped and told me the sound of the card after. You could tell her to hop 2, 3 or 4 times, so that she couldn't just go to the ones she knows already. I also put paperclips on the cards and had my ds fish with a magnet on a string. He had to tell me the sound/s on the card he pulled up off the floor. Those are the only 2 hands (feet) on things I remember.

HTH

You might take a look at some of the resources here:

http://soundcityreading.com/

I like the printables here:

http://www.sparklebox.co.uk/literacy/alphabet/

This site has lots of printable resources also:

http://www.fcrr.org/Curriculum/studentCenterActivities.shtm

The Phonics Toolkit has a set of cards with an image plus the phoneme to help the child remember its sound. You can view a sample in Google books.

THANK YOU!!! Those are really great sites!!!:D

With the first 26, the teacher says the sound, the children repeat the sound, the teacher shows and describes to the children exactly how each letter is formed, the children write the phonograms while saying the sounds, then they write each phonogram several times while saying the sound(s).

:iagree:

Writing is a very important part of learning. She will learn them faster and better if she writes them each day and then incorporates them into spelling words.