Menu

Mini Office, Resource Binder or...?

Pixjen

I'm need to organize all the many print outs and bits of information I've collected over the years in a way that DS8 could easily use them. I'm trying to decide if I should make a mini-office made from file folders that stands up on the table. Or should I put them in a binder by subject?

Mini Office Pros: He can quickly see information at a glance without sticking posters all over the wall. (Tiny house, no schoolroom. School at the table.) Cons: I can see it becoming clutter and a distraction.

Reference Binder Pros: Most of my printouts finally in one home, instead of scattered to the winds. Portable and durable. Cons: I'm afraid it might be a case of "out of site, out of mind."

A third option I just suddenly thought of would be a hybrid of the two. Have the binder, and a portable "wall" of sorts. Using a large piece of poster board and page protectors, display information and rotate as needed. Harder to put away/store than a binder or folders though.

Thoughts?

I made little reference books using 3-prong folders with pockets. It works really well and I can add things to it if needed. For small items that I've printed out, I just add to paper or carstock and 3-hole punch. We have one for LA, Math, Science and Geography/History. He uses them all of the time

I've seen many different mini-offices on blogs etc., but I would love to hear more about what you all include in yours...?????

Yes, what type of items do you have in your mini-office or resource binder? I'm brainstorming for one right now, and I haven't come up with much.

- Addition/Subtraction and Multiplication/Division Tables

- 100s Chart

- Periodic Table

- Spelling Rules

- Human anatomy diagrams

- US and World maps

Guess it's more of a brain-shower than a storm... :glare:

Yes, what type of items do you have in your mini-office or resource binder? I'm brainstorming for one right now, and I haven't come up with much.

- Addition/Subtraction and Multiplication/Division Tables

- 100s Chart

- Periodic Table

- Spelling Rules

- Human anatomy diagrams

- US and World maps

Guess it's more of a brain-shower than a storm... :glare:

Several years ago I had my kids make mini-offices with similar content. Their's included the "COPS" acronym to remind them how to check their writing (capitalization, organization/neatness, punctuation, spelling), planets (they did astronomy that year), shapes (including 3-D shapes) and roman numerals in the math section in addition to the tables you mentioned...I think that's about it.

To the OP: Think of the Mini-office as holding content they will use daily or at least weekly. Put anything in there that might be used that often. My kids used theirs a lot, especially for math (that was probably the most helpful here). Then go ahead and put all of your handouts in a binder as well, for a more thorough, long-term reference to be used occasionally but that will stay on a shelf or on their school desk possibly. It's great to have that info organized for them.

I like mini-offices for one other reason--I had my kids make them, so they actually filled out the math charts and so on. It served as a fun way to do a summer-time review of concepts, as well as creating a year-long resource to use.

Merry :-)