Menu

Looking for a good diagramming curriculum supplement

I thought I'd asked this before but in searching, I can't find my thread!

Anyway, this year I'm using Easy Grammar (which doesn't teach diagramming) so I'm planning to teach diagramming to my 5th grade dd from a separate text. I would also like to review diagramming skills with my 7th grade dd.

Rex Barks was recommended to me, but I've also heard people say that the print is so tiny, it's a challenge to use the book. I've also looked at Digging into Diagramming since I'm using Growing with Grammar for my 3rd grade ds. It looks like a good, basic program, but I'd ideally like something with the diagramming lines already provided (don't really want to spend time with a ruler having them draw things in etc).

Does anyone know of a workbook-style text like this?

I also found CLE has a diagramming workbook - I wondered if anyone has tried it?

Edited by KellyMama
CLE info

We use Graded Lessons in English by Alonzo Reed and Brainerd Kellogg. Both answer key and lessons are available through google books for free. They are the "founders" of diagramming, and this classic text has worked very well for both my boys. We just use the diagramming lessons in the book; we use KISS for our regular grammar lessons.

Grammar Diagraming by Deborah Broadwater

http://www.amazon.com/Diagramming-Sentences-Deborah-White-Broadwater/dp/1580372821/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1342056599&sr=8-11&keywords=grammar+diagraming

All you need for an introduction to GD. The book is only 36 pages long, yet it moves along at a steady pace from the basic pattern to advanced diagrams. The instructions are short and sweet; no lengthy explanations, lots of visuals. Great for visual learners, and doesn't take all year to do: just a few weeks. My son (11) has greatly benefitted from it.

I've actually come across most of these on Amazon and wondered about them, so it's good to have an additional review to go with it. I ended up ordering the GWG Digging into Diagramming set - I can return it if it doesn't look like what we need, but I like that it contains examples for gr 3 - 8 which means I can use it as a supplement for all of my kiddos.

We are using CLE diagramming book right now and honestly I think it would be challenging for a 3rd grader possibly. I am using it with my soon to be 5th grader and we just started a couple of weeks ago. It covers all of the diagramming taught in grades 2 to 8 in CLE LA. It ramps up quickly and you have to make your own lines. I am using it as a quick review for ds since he has a lot of grammar but we are using other stuff too.

Edited by priscilla

Rex Barks was recommended to me, but I've also heard people say that the print is so tiny, it's a challenge to use the book. I've also looked at Digging into Diagramming since I'm using Growing with Grammar for my 3rd grade ds. It looks like a good, basic program, but I'd ideally like something with the diagramming lines already provided (don't really want

We don't use a ruler for GWG, and having the tree already there gives children huge hints. Perhaps that is good in some situations, like new steps up, but I wouldn't use them all the time.

I can read Rex Barks just fine. It is a lovely book and I've learned so much from it. But, it isn't for 10 year olds. When I want to do something above or beyond where I am in GWG, I just put a sentence on the big board, using what *I* have learned from Rex Barks to teach kiddo. That way, I can put up sentences that are funny, or are from our readings.