Menu

s/o waking to go potty = sleep apnea/problem???

In a recent thread someone mentioned that waking to go to the bathroom could be a sign of sleep apnea, and that we don't need to do so while sleeping. :001_huh:

I find this interesting since as long as I can remember I have needed to go at least once during the night, sometimes twice. I am not obese, do not snore, and am not tired during the day. I have just always drank a lot of water during the day and night. I don't have diabetes (I've been checked), but I do drink a lot. I have memories of being a very little girl and always needing to go during the night. I would try to wake one of my siblings because I was afraid of the dark hallway. :tongue_smilie:

I have one dd like me and I've never considered she had a problem ~ still don't. So, I'm just curious how many go during the night vs not go during the night.

I don't now, but I sure did when I was pregnant.

That is interesting though. I have never heard that connection. My kids sometimes get up to go, but I think something wakes them up first, then they realize they have to go to the bathroom.

I know I say this all the time, but this can be a chiropractic issue. If the nerves to the kidneys aren't working properly, it kind of messes up their internal clock, so to speak, so they void at the wrong time of day.

So, that can be my issue, or I could have had soup for dinner. I find it hard to believe a person can have a big bowl of soup for dinner and not need to get up in the night. :tongue_smilie:

Rosie

Yes it is a sign of sleep apnea but not all people with apnea wake to use the restroom and not all people who wake and use the restroom have apnea.

if you dont have eds or snore I would not worry about apnea (kids dont necessarily snore like adults if you heard them or they tilt their heads high when sleeping i would ask for a psg

I find this interesting since as long as I can remember I have needed to go at least once during the night, sometimes twice. I am not obese, do not snore, and am not tired during the day. I have just always drank a lot of water during the day and night. I don't have diabetes (I've been checked), but I do drink a lot.

This is me, although I did not start getting up in the night until I was an older teen. I usually drink a lot and probably have trained my bladder to have low expectations. ;)

We take 4+ hour road trips, and I stop a few times. My kids always wait in the car.

I am thin and don't snore and have sleep apnea (mild apnea episodes along with lots of upper airway resistance where I wake right before I go into actual apnea....which disrupts sleep just as much). The mouth matters too so non overweight people can have apnea. But I was tired and had other symptoms/health issues related to the lack of restful sleep.

My mother had a sleep study because she was waking to go the bathroom without cause. She did have apnea causing that wakening (moderate to severe for her). She is also not overweight. However, she was tired as well and actually one of those who fell asleep just sitting on the couch.

My take away is anyone can have apnea and it can cause waking to go to the bathroom. I would expect fatigue too though and I'm sure some people are just wired to go especially if you're doing lots of liquids before bed.