Menu

Remind me again - the perks of homeschooling

I'm *this* close to enrolling Autumn in Catholic school next year. Not that she isn't a pleasant, willing child... she is. I just dislike homeschooling (I know, this isn't the place to say that; it's the truth though). I'm homeschooling because she has a difficult time fitting into the Catholic school mold (options are limited in our Catholic schools for a dyslexic child) and we would have to afterschool to an extent, regardless of placement. Add to that, a medically fragile 3 year old, a newborn... I'm tired :tongue_smilie:. Really, really tired.

So, remind me again... why I'm doing this homeschooling gig... someone talk me out of enrolling her. Tell me that no matter the distractions at home, no matter how much I'm relying on Starbucks to get me through my day, it has to be worth it. Right?

I think it would be fine to put her in school and see how it goes. It doesn't have to be forever - maybe it'll work out, maybe you'll go back to homeschooling. In the meantime you get to recover and recharge your batteries.

Sorry, I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but I'm sure lots of other people will give long lists of the perks, as they are many and wonderful.

:grouphug:

I think it would be fine to put her in school and see how it goes. It doesn't have to be forever - maybe it'll work out, maybe you'll go back to homeschooling. In the meantime you get to recover and recharge your batteries.

Sorry, I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but I'm sure lots of other people will give long lists of the perks, as they are many and wonderful.

:grouphug:

That's the thing - I can't just pull her out if it doesn't work. Between moving and our initial reasons for homeschooling (bullying), she has moved schools about 5 times during K-5th. We plan to send her back next year (not this fall, but the next), but I need to stick this out one more year so that she can more easily fall in line at the school... and make it a long term placement. She needs stability. I have no intention of homeschooling long term. Lol. I just NEED this one more year.

Just think of all the stress of early mornings out the door, with lunch bag in hand, teacher conferences, homework every night, driving after missing the bus, school concerts/plays/teas/bake sales each month. The never ending line up of fundraising each month. All while dealing with a medically fragile 3 yr old and a baby. Still sound like the better deal?

I do understand. DS11 had been to 3 different schools before we started homeschooling, due to frequent house moves, and I was determined that once we started homeschooling that would be it until he started secondary school. We're just coming to the end of his last year homeschooling, and I feel very sad, and so does he.

I haven't had any of the other stresses you're under though. Having said that, I do wonder whether having her at school could add more, different stressors. I know I found life a lot more hectic when I had them all at school, with all the to-ing and fro-ing, homework, tired, grumpy kids, etc. Oh, and yes, the anxiety when other kids were mean to them.

Being just a year ahead of you in a similar situation, I'd say one of the biggest perks is enjoying that time together, building a close, happy relationship and having fun together. Is there any way you can homeschool differently to maximise those advantages over the next year?

FWIW I envy you, I wish I still had just one more year with DS11 :001_smile:.

Just think of all the stress of early mornings out the door, with lunch bag in hand, teacher conferences, homework every night, driving after missing the bus, school concerts/plays/teas/bake sales each month. The never ending line up of fundraising each month. All while dealing with a medically fragile 3 yr old and a baby. Still sound like the better deal?

:lol:

Off season vacations!!!

So, one more year. It sounds like you need to pick low maintenance curriculum, what I call open and go (with online or dvd lessons for harder things). That would allow her to work more on her own and free up more of your time. Not all alone, but not with you with her all day. Somewhere in between that!

:iagree: :iagree:

The advantages here for homeschooling are: setting our own schedule and studying what DD11 needs to study at the pace she needs to study it. This is huge.

Could you put the money you'd spend on Catholic school towards hiring a mother's helper or someone to watch the younger two while you hs her, or to watch them in the afternoon while you nap? Getting more rest or being able to hs without the stresses of the other two might help you survive.:grouphug:

Actually I have a lovely neighbor (retired RN) who LOVES nothing more than an excuse to help watch the youngers (she has volunteered herself the last couple times I had to leave the house, lol).

I think my reservations came to a head when I found out my husband's travel schedule for the upcoming several months - including a week here and there out of state; a month here and there out of the country :tongue_smilie:. I think I've taken for granted the little things he does for me - watching one child while I spend quality time with another, letting me take a shower in peace, explaining a math problem I just can't seem to explain well, helping with the hands on components of our science studies, cooking dinner on the weekends... even just a sympathetic ear, a hug, or his firm voice telling me to sit down while he takes care of the dishes when I'm particularly exhausted. I won't have that consistently and I'll miss it like crazy.

ETA: I just realized that it sounds like I'm complaining about his job. I don't mean to. It's a new position with a new company and I thank God for it - T really enjoys it and it's a blessing for our family.

Oh, the husband traveling does add more stress to the mix. DH changed jobs a few months back and now travels rarely, and it's been a relief, so I can relate.

I would keep things as light as possible this year while making sure she gets what she needs. In other words, this isn't the year for big unit studies or teacher intensive curriculum, but you knew that. :) I'd focus on the 4-5 basic subjects, keep any preschool with the little one super light, and make sure you give yourself breaks, especially when your DH is gone.

And, the thought that you don't have to get three kids out the door first thing every morning to get DD to school... focus on that!! :grouphug:

I think my reservations came to a head when I found out my husband's travel schedule for the upcoming several months - including a week here and there out of state; a month here and there out of the country.

Awwww! It will be OK. :grouphug:

Maybe take a mini-vacation and go along with him on one of his trips? Sometimes a change in venue is in order!

Sounds like the biggest perk is you get to spend this year with all your kids together, doing what you know is best for your daughter, as you prepare her for her transition to a different sort of school.

And you don't have to pack a lunch every day!

Best wishes to you.

Awwww! It will be OK. :grouphug:

Maybe take a mini-vacation and go along with him on one of his trips? Sometimes a change in venue is in order!

He mentioned that. I guess the idea of wandering around a foreign country by myself makes me more nervous than him being gone. Lol. I speak English only :D.

Once Baby Schmoo can be left with grandparents, I would love the opportunity to sit in a hotel room and sleep the day away though... come to think of it.

Oh, the husband traveling does add more stress to the mix. DH changed jobs a few months back and now travels rarely, and it's been a relief, so I can relate.

I would keep things as light as possible this year while making sure she gets what she needs. In other words, this isn't the year for big unit studies or teacher intensive curriculum, but you knew that. :) I'd focus on the 4-5 basic subjects, keep any preschool with the little one super light, and make sure you give yourself breaks, especially when your DH is gone.

And, the thought that you don't have to get three kids out the door first thing every morning to get DD to school... focus on that!! :grouphug:

Huge perk, right there. It took me almost 2 hours to get them all dressed, fed, and medicated this morning just to leave the house for a doctor's appointment.