Menu

Scheduling AoPS Pre-Algebra

moonlight

My ds9 is going to do pre algebra in the fall. We are going to take it real slow, making sure he understands everything thoroughly.

I don't have access to the book all summer.

Has anyone done this? How long did you give to each chapter? Any scheduling tips?

Thanks.

For dd10 I'm planning an hour a day & whatever we cover at that pace is fine. As we work through the book I'll be watching carefully to see if any of the material is repetition she doesn't need, but I'm not anticipating there will be much of that. If she wants to do more than an hour, that's fine too.

My experience with all the other AoPS books (we have not used prealgebra since it did not exist when we needed it) is that a schedule does not make much sense. The chapters are of varying lengths and difficulty, some concepts are easier and some more difficult, some problems quick, and some time consuming, and you have no way of knowing beforehand. I do not see any benefit in scheduling math - I would let the student progress at his own pace and take whatever time is needed for complete mastery.

We'll be attempting it next year when my son is 9 also. I'm working through it myself right now, and I would definitely agree with the PP's - don't try to schedule it. There is just no point. Plus with a 9 year old, who knows how well they'll handle the material. I can see my son going a reasonable pace in the first chapter and then slowing down majorly when he gets a couple chapters in. I know *I* flew through the first one and slowed down in the next few chapters, and I've had prealgebra (and well beyond) before. :D

The book may not even fit my son, so I have a few backup options (yes, I'm hoarding prealgebra and algebra books :lol:). We'll see how it goes. He may still need more direct instruction at age 9, but he could also surprise me.

I think it's impossible to schedule. I think the only reasonable thing to do is schedule a certain amount of time to spend on it. Although even that can be problematic. I would just crack the book and do the next thing and play it by ear. Some days you will do more than others.

:iagree:

My 10yo ds used the online classes through AoPS, which dictated our pacing. If I wanted to roughly schedule a slower pace through the text, I'd probably use the outline for the AoPS classes, and just double the amount of time spent on each topic.

But I really think the best approach is to just plan to spend a certain amount of time on math each day and see where it goes.

Anyone who has btdt with a younger child, how long did it take your child to finish the pre algebra text?? I am assuming you have a "mathy" kid..

Also, should we start the alcumus at the same time as the text or before or after??

I am excited..we are going to alternate with some life of Fred...

Seema

I have a younger one (8) is working AOPS algebra.

We do,

I make copy of the practice problems so he can not see the solution, and he go figure out.. If he figure out on his own, we are done with that section, If he needs help. I will give him pieces of "clues" and let him think, still stuck.. more clue.. until he solve it and he will have to go to exercise.. We are only on chapter 2 before we into the summer break. So, it works so far, I imaginging later chapter will stretch longer. I might have the practice 1 day and exercise another day.

I do have a rough schedule and depends on how the kid does, it changes very often. Something he just gets it and some topic he needs more. my rough schedule now has working in average 2 section a week (4 days a week)

I agree with earlier posts about the difficulty of scheduling. I haven't seen anyone else mention Richard's videos available on the aops website. They are indexed by each section of each chapter in the book, and they serve as a nice supplement. IMO, they are far superior to Khan's Academy videos!