Menu

Tell me about. . . puppies

What do I need to know?

We may be adopting a 9-week old puppy next week.

It's been a looooong time since I've had a dog, but I trained my own two dogs when I was a kid. 4-H dog obedience :) However, they were several months old when I got them.

I've been reading online about crate training for bedtimes and toys and socializing and house training. . . but I'd like to hear your stories and suggestions--and warnings.

Thanks everyone!

I.

I am not typical...but way too tenderhearted to hear a puppy cry while in a crate...after raising 5..my method is to sleep on the couch with them, the minute they wake up, I take them outside and praise them when they pee! :). I keep water bowl up on the counter...giving water at least 6x a day...after they drink, I take them out...usually they pee 10 minutes after drinking, sooner for smaller dogs...I do this for 2 weeks and they are trained! It is like having a newborn, but saves me loads on accident clean ups! They also are pretty regular with number 2 ....I feed puppies 3x a day...about six hours apart, then move to 2x a day. What type of puppy? We have raised beagle, maltese, black lab, boxer mix, border collie...I helped train our Old English sheepdog as a teen. The key is consistency and loads of outdoor playtime! Enjoy and share pics!

What do I need to know?

We may be adopting a 9-week old puppy next week.. . . but I'd like to hear your stories and suggestions--and warnings.

Thanks everyone!

I.

I know you know this, but.....

It will shed.

It will poop.

It will pee.

If you or anyone else in the family doesn't like dogs, hair, poop or pee, you (they) will not be happy. Just clearing up a few of the basics before we go further. :D

astrid

We just got a puppy also - we got her at 8 wks and she is now 15 wks.

I will admit... it has been a ROUGH 7 weeks. Puppies are cute, but oh.so.much.work. I’m just being honest with you, since you are asking!!

I come from a "dog family" - we always had dogs, my mom showed them sometimes, bred them periodically, she now has three corgies that she shows, breeds, and now trains in obedience, agility, and tracking. I had dogs when I was single (including a litter of puppies) and we had a dog when we got married, but she died a few months ago - hence the new puppy.

All of that to say - I *know* dogs. And yet even I TOTALLY underestimated the work it takes to teach and train a puppy. The main thing is the housebreaking. We have hardwood downstairs, and all carpet upstairs (where our schoolroom is). Housebreaking our pup has meant all of us moving downstairs for pretty much everything. It has meant FAR more clutter in our living room. It has meant FAR more interruptions to our days (to take Ellie outside, or intervene when she is being naughty). It has meant FAR more of my time spent standing around for twenty minutes outside waiting for her to do her business (she is not like our old dog who would squat the minute she got outside and then run inside again!!). It has meant FAR more reminding of the kids to keep their things picked up (or else the puppy chews on whatever it is – books, pencils, legos, dolls, stuffed animals, you name it). It has meant FAR more sweeping and mopping for me (our previous dog didn’t have accidents, and also had much less hair – our new puppy brings in tons of leaves and dirt and such on her paws than our old dog). It all just takes a lot of energy (a lot more than I thought!).

The other thing that is a real issue with Ellie is biting. She is a typical puppy! And puppies bite. But it is hard to teach young children how to respond to it appropriately so it does not further encourage the biting and barking at them. We have a ways to go in this area.

It can be a challenge to get her enough exercise. We are blessed with a fenced-in backyard, and she is a small dog, so thankfully she seems to get enough running around with the children out there. It would be VERY hard for me to find time to take her to a park or something like that, but some dogs really do need that.

When we first got her, she whined in her crate a lot and we had to take her out several times a night. It was kind of like having a new baby!!! But it only lasted about a week. Thankfully she is now very content in her crate at night. Sometimes she does whine when crated during the day, but overall she does ok.

I will be SO relieved when she is about six months old and has learned:

- When and where to potty

- Not to bite or play rough with her teeth

- To come when she is called

- To not jump up on people

Anyway, I don’t mean to sound negative – I’m just trying to give you a candid picture of what having a puppy is like. I can’t believe how much I underestimated it, LOL!! The puppy work doesn’t last forever, but it is hard while it DOES last, and it is much more time- and energy-consuming than I ever imagined. I think things that were fairly easy as a teenager or single woman are just so different when trying to do them in the midst of raising and educating children, kwim?

I highly recommend reading up on different breeds before committing to a puppy, to make sure you find a breed that is a good fit for your family’s lifestyle. Also I suggest reading a good book on puppy training (even if you have done it before), to gear up for what you have ahead and stock your puppy training toolbelt. We have enjoyed http://www.amazon.com/Imagine-Life-Well-Behaved-Dog-Dog-Training/dp/0312598971/ref=tmm_pap_title_0

I kept them in a crate right by my bed when they were little. I wanted them to learn that the crate is their space (all our adult dogs love their crates as no one is allowed to bother them there). My arm would go to sleep often because I would put my fingers through the front to comfort them. I NEVER expect a pup under 12 weeks to make it through the night without a bathroom break.

I've also found that a heat pad of some sort (not too hot) can help them settle in their beds a little, and all mine started sleeping better when they found a favorite toy to sleep with.

Good Luck!!

I am not typical...but way too tenderhearted to hear a puppy cry while in a crate...after raising 5..my method is to sleep on the couch with them, the minute they wake up, I take them outside and praise them when they pee! :). I keep water bowl up on the counter...giving water at least 6x a day...after they drink, I take them out...usually they pee 10 minutes after drinking, sooner for smaller dogs...I do this for 2 weeks and they are trained! It is like having a newborn, but saves me loads on accident clean ups! They also are pretty regular with number 2 ....I feed puppies 3x a day...about six hours apart, then move to 2x a day. What type of puppy? We have raised beagle, maltese, black lab, boxer mix, border collie...I helped train our Old English sheepdog as a teen. The key is consistency and loads of outdoor playtime! Enjoy and share pics!

Puppy is border collie/black lab (I think there's some Aussie in her as well by the looks of her mother). I grew up with border collies. We lived in a ranching town and my dad was always out in the boonies with the dogs. I LOVE border collies, but always swore I'd never have one in town. So, I'm so glad I may wind up with a mix with border collie :)

This is great information. Thanks so much!

It will shed.

It will poop.

It will pee.

If you or anyone else in the family doesn't like dogs, hair, poop or pee, you (they) will not be happy. Just clearing up a few of the basics before we go further. :D

astrid

Not issues. :D

Plan on a good 5-6 months of training. The more you do now, and prevent bad behavior, the more you will enjoy the dog all of their life!!! And know the breed, each has strengths and weaknesses.

I also used a crate for training, but rarely need to use it now that the dog is an adult as we are home most of the time. But if you prevent accidents, the training goes much better. You can do a schedule of time to eat, potty, time to play, into kennel for quiet time, potty time. Always take them out right after they wake up from napping... that is a prime potty time. Alternatively, I would tether the puppy to the coffee table so I could see him at all times and he could not wander the house to find a potty spot!

This all takes a few months of being conscious about it, then things should be easier.

laura

I kept them in a crate right by my bed when they were little. I wanted them to learn that the crate is their space (all our adult dogs love their crates as no one is allowed to bother them there). My arm would go to sleep often because I would put my fingers through the front to comfort them. I NEVER expect a pup under 12 weeks to make it through the night without a bathroom break.

I've also found that a heat pad of some sort (not too hot) can help them settle in their beds a little, and all mine started sleeping better when they found a favorite toy to sleep with.

Good Luck!!

Ah, yes. Good. I do intend on having her in crate by my bed at night. Hubby will be gone for most of first two weeks, so he doesn't have to do the nighttime chores :)

Glad this seems to be a good way to go. I hadn't thought of a heading pad. That sounds like a nice idea. I do want to find a good toy, too. For a puppy, can I use something plush, or will the little teeth tear it to ribbons?

Plan on a good 5-6 months of training. The more you do now, and prevent bad behavior, the more you will enjoy the dog all of their life!!! And know the breed, each has strengths and weaknesses.

I also used a crate for training, but rarely need to use it now that the dog is an adult as we are home most of the time. But if you prevent accidents, the training goes much better. You can do a schedule of time to eat, potty, time to play, into kennel for quiet time, potty time. Always take them out right after they wake up from napping... that is a prime potty time. Alternatively, I would tether the puppy to the coffee table so I could see him at all times and he could not wander the house to find a potty spot!

This all takes a few months of being conscious about it, then things should be easier.

laura

I've never used a crate before, so that's the thing I'm really trying to think about. In the past, our dogs just had a rug they laid on in the rug. They always just knew that was their place. I don't know how that happened, but. . . I think that part of it was that it was a good perch from which to watch the rest of the family. :)

We just got a puppy also - we got her at 8 wks and she is now 15 wks.

I will admit... it has been a ROUGH 7 weeks. Puppies are cute, but oh.so.much.work. I’m just being honest with you, since you are asking!!

I come from a "dog family" - we always had dogs, my mom showed them sometimes, bred them periodically, she now has three corgies that she shows, breeds, and now trains in obedience, agility, and tracking. I had dogs when I was single (including a litter of puppies) and we had a dog when we got married, but she died a few months ago - hence the new puppy.

All of that to say - I *know* dogs. And yet even I TOTALLY underestimated the work it takes to teach and train a puppy. The main thing is the housebreaking. We have hardwood downstairs, and all carpet upstairs (where our schoolroom is). Housebreaking our pup has meant all of us moving downstairs for pretty much everything. It has meant FAR more clutter in our living room. It has meant FAR more interruptions to our days (to take Ellie outside, or intervene when she is being naughty). It has meant FAR more of my time spent standing around for twenty minutes outside waiting for her to do her business (she is not like our old dog who would squat the minute she got outside and then run inside again!!). It has meant FAR more reminding of the kids to keep their things picked up (or else the puppy chews on whatever it is – books, pencils, legos, dolls, stuffed animals, you name it). It has meant FAR more sweeping and mopping for me (our previous dog didn’t have accidents, and also had much less hair – our new puppy brings in tons of leaves and dirt and such on her paws than our old dog). It all just takes a lot of energy (a lot more than I thought!).

The other thing that is a real issue with Ellie is biting. She is a typical puppy! And puppies bite. But it is hard to teach young children how to respond to it appropriately so it does not further encourage the biting and barking at them. We have a ways to go in this area.

It can be a challenge to get her enough exercise. We are blessed with a fenced-in backyard, and she is a small dog, so thankfully she seems to get enough running around with the children out there. It would be VERY hard for me to find time to take her to a park or something like that, but some dogs really do need that.

When we first got her, she whined in her crate a lot and we had to take her out several times a night. It was kind of like having a new baby!!! But it only lasted about a week. Thankfully she is now very content in her crate at night. Sometimes she does whine when crated during the day, but overall she does ok.

I will be SO relieved when she is about six months old and has learned:

- When and where to potty

- Not to bite or play rough with her teeth

- To come when she is called

- To not jump up on people

Anyway, I don’t mean to sound negative – I’m just trying to give you a candid picture of what having a puppy is like. I can’t believe how much I underestimated it, LOL!! The puppy work doesn’t last forever, but it is hard while it DOES last, and it is much more time- and energy-consuming than I ever imagined. I think things that were fairly easy as a teenager or single woman are just so different when trying to do them in the midst of raising and educating children, kwim?

I highly recommend reading up on different breeds before committing to a puppy, to make sure you find a breed that is a good fit for your family’s lifestyle. Also I suggest reading a good book on puppy training (even if you have done it before), to gear up for what you have ahead and stock your puppy training toolbelt. We have enjoyed http://www.amazon.com/Imagine-Life-Well-Behaved-Dog-Dog-Training/dp/0312598971/ref=tmm_pap_title_0

Heh. Yeah, I'm bracing up for a new baby. I'll look for that book! Thanks!

Ah, yes. Good. I do intend on having her in crate by my bed at night. Hubby will be gone for most of first two weeks, so he doesn't have to do the nighttime chores :)

Glad this seems to be a good way to go. I hadn't thought of a heading pad. That sounds like a nice idea. I do want to find a good toy, too. For a puppy, can I use something plush, or will the little teeth tear it to ribbons?

I found some stuffed pheasants and ducks that were tough enough to handle my cocker pups. There are some great fabric toys with no stuffing as well (they always look like animal hides to me). I have gone through a wide variety of toys, but those two are the ones we keep getting cause the dogs LOVE them. Don't go for the cheap, stiffer rubber toys. If your dog like rubber, get a good, thick but bendable rubber. The cheap ones crack and break apart easy and little pieces can get swallowed, not to mention you will constantly be replacing them.

It will shed.

It will poop.

It will pee.

And let me add...

It will gnaw.

It will whine.

It will growl. (even if just playfully, but children can't tell)

It will bite. (even if just playfully, but children can't tell)

It will mosey when you want it to hurry (like when you are trying to get it to tinkle in the rain).

It will jump on you with muddy paws.

It will play keep-away (from you) when you are trying to get out the door to an appointment.

And also...

It will sleep.

It will snuggle.

It will play.

It will wag.

It will make it totally worth it (eventually) :-)

If you or anyone else in the family doesn't like dogs, hair, poop or pee, you (they) will not be happy. Just clearing up a few of the basics before we go further.

There is great wisdom in this statement! I think setting *everyone’s* expectations appropriately is a very good thing.

I also earlier recommended a book to you. One thing I have found is that it is VERY helpful to read the book aloud together as a family (including DH). We do just one small section at a time. First we read about housebreaking. The next week we read about crate training. The next week we read about how to deal with the puppy not playing nicely. Basically, whatever problem we are dealing with that week, we look up that section and read it aloud together. This gets EVERYONE on the same page about how to handle things (especially DH and I, but it also helps with DS… DD is only two, so she is obviously on her own page entirely!). The two main benefits of that are 1) the puppy gets the same treatment from all of us (as long as we remember what we read!), and 2) it greatly minimizes family conflict about HOW to deal with certain behaviors – instead of just giving our opinions, we all respect The Book! We can remind each other what The Book says, and somehow that comes out nicer and easier to deal with than if we are just giving our own (usually uninformed) opinions.

Lots of good advice already.

As mom of a 6 month old puppy, I would also add that your adorable little ball of fluff will have teen attitude about this age, and be less adorable. :glare: Continue to train through and you will have a lovely dog as the years go on, but 6 to about 9 month old pups many find more challenging than the early weeks so you have to prepare for it!

Good luck, and post some pix!

And let me add...

It will gnaw.

It will whine.

It will growl. (even if just playfully, but children can't tell)

It will bite. (even if just playfully, but children can't tell)

It will mosey when you want it to hurry (like when you are trying to get it to tinkle in the rain).

It will jump on you with muddy paws.

It will play keep-away (from you) when you are trying to get out the door to an appointment.

And also...

It will sleep.

It will snuggle.

It will play.

It will wag.

It will make it totally worth it (eventually) :-)

There is great wisdom in this statement! I think setting *everyone’s* expectations appropriately is a very good thing.

I also earlier recommended a book to you. One thing I have found is that it is VERY helpful to read the book aloud together as a family (including DH). We do just one small section at a time. First we read about housebreaking. The next week we read about crate training. The next week we read about how to deal with the puppy not playing nicely. Basically, whatever problem we are dealing with that week, we look up that section and read it aloud together. This gets EVERYONE on the same page about how to handle things (especially DH and I, but it also helps with DS… DD is only two, so she is obviously on her own page entirely!). The two main benefits of that are 1) the puppy gets the same treatment from all of us (as long as we remember what we read!), and 2) it greatly minimizes family conflict about HOW to deal with certain behaviors – instead of just giving our opinions, we all respect The Book! We can remind each other what The Book says, and somehow that comes out nicer and easier to deal with than if we are just giving our own (usually uninformed) opinions.

I think that's a great idea about getting everyone on the same page about dog training. I'm going to download the book to my Nook tonight and get right on it!

Sorry but there is one important thing. The very first rule of hive dog ownership is: post a picture. As soon as puppy gets home. :D

Then you can worry about all that other stuff. :lol:

I second the book suggestion. There are some other positive dog training books out there if you need more, and some websites. You can google "positive dog training." I like it much more than the traditional dominance theories.

We did crate training when our dogs were puppies. It was great for potty training, but they never considered the crate their space. As soon as they were house trained, the crates fell into disuse. Maybe because they considered our beds their space.... (and our couch, and recliner, and dining room chairs... and pretty much anywhere else we are. :lol:)

As for toys- I really like the Kong brand of toys. They make a wide range of toys that are good quality and don't fall apart. Also there are some tennis balls that are made just for dogs. If my dog gets ahold of a regular tennis ball, I end up with little green pieces of fluff all over the house. :001_huh:

I have no suggestions for plush toys, except to inspect any plush toys regularly and make sure that they aren't falling apart. Especially ones with squeakers inside. It's no fun digging a squeaker out of the throat of a choking dog. (Ask me how I know..... :glare:)

Have fun!! Puppies are great. As soon as DD, my mom and I can all three agree, we are getting one also. :D