Menu

Dr. Hive: Is this a summer virus....or what?

:001_huh:

DD13 started running a fever on Saturday night -- it was high -- 103......imo, especially for a thirteen yr old. But, years ago, my pediatrician told me to subtract two degrees for a night time temp. So, okay, cool bath, ibuprofen, and we are continuing that today -- her temp is not going up to 103 -- the highest I have seen since Sunday is 101, and for the most part, she is right around 100.6 And, we are doing ibuprofen @ 6 hrs as I said.

She had a headache, but that seems to have gone away -- the ibuprofen helps.

She has a cough but her lungs are clear (I listened) -- the cough sounds productive.

I've asked all the usual questions (does it hurt when you pee, does it burn, is your back mid section achy, your front abdominal area achy, do your ears hurt, your throat). Answered no to it all - no post nasal drip, no allergy symptoms, no sinus headache.

My kids do tend to run fevers with a virus a few days longer than the doc says they will --

do u think that is what this is? A summer virus that just has to run its course?

She is staying hydrated, I am trying our best to keep her cool although she gets chilled.

I would imagine that by friday if this is still going on, we are on our way to the doctor, but for right now, can anyone offer their opinion here?

My oldest used to get this kind of thing every year. High fever (he ran REALLY high fevers) and a headache. No other symptoms. These viruses lasted a week each time. A VERY long week.

I hope your dd feels better soon and can enjoy Heather's visit!

Jennifer, Thank you! Yes, she musters up enough energy to do this or that, then she goes and naps.

Thanks -- I guess that past a certain age, we expect these fever-things to cease.:glare: I meant me......I'm almost 58.......I didn't expect to be taking care of kids with fevers at this age.:lol::lol::lol:

my 16 year old had the exact same thing Wed, Thur and Fri. Her temp would go to 103, would take forever to go down with Advil, would stay around 100 for a few hours and then back up to 103. She had chills and was achy and tired. Took her to dr. on Fri. They said it was a summer virus. Her temp went away Fri night but she got a sore throat which went away quickly. SHe was fine by Sat, just tired. She is at the beach today. Nobody else in the family has gotten it. The only thing dd wanted to eat was ice cream and of course we gave her lots of fluids.

my 16 year old had the exact same thing Wed, Thur and Fri. Her temp would go to 103, would take forever to go down with Advil, would stay around 100 for a few hours and then back up to 103. She had chills and was achy and tired. Took her to dr. on Fri. They said it was a summer virus. Her temp went away Fri night but she got a sore throat which went away quickly. SHe was fine by Sat, just tired. She is at the beach today. Nobody else in the family has gotten it. The only thing dd wanted to eat was ice cream and of course we gave her lots of fluids.

You have described how it has been with dd13 to a "T"

She is walking around the house wrapped in a flannel blanket -- when I look at her, I could pass out.

And, yup, she is staying hydrated.

Thanks for sharing.:)

This sounds exactly like what my little guy has right now. He had a fever for three days (103.7 was his highest that I recorded, and that was when he woke up the morning of the second day). The fourth day the fever was pretty much gone, but he developed a very productive sounding cough. This is day five, and his cough already less frequent, and his energy and appetite are better.

We took him to the doctor, and his ears and throat looked good, and his UTI test was negative.

We have a trans-Atlantic flight scheduled for Friday, so I'm hoping he's over this by then.

This sounds exactly like what my little guy has right now. He had a fever for three days (103.7 was his highest that I recorded, and that was when he woke up the morning of the second day). The fourth day the fever was pretty much gone, but he developed a very productive sounding cough. This is day five, and his cough already less frequent, and his energy and appetite are better.

We took him to the doctor, and his ears and throat looked good, and his UTI test was negative.

We have a trans-Atlantic flight scheduled for Friday, so I'm hoping he's over this by then.

Awwww, I hope he is all better before your flight -- sounds like he will be. I guess this is indeed a summer virus.:)

Sinus infection? I got one in the Summer once and had a very high fever (well 101-102) and was very achey and miserable. I finally realized what it was (I was in college at the time) because I only had a headache really ... but then realized that when I bent down my head really hurt. I needed antibiotics to get rid of it.