Menu

C-rod track-will I use this?

Syllieann

If you have it do you use it? If you don't do you ever miss it? I'm preparing to place my order. From searching old posts I'm going to go with the 155 set of smooth plastic non-linking c-rods. I don't see the track addressed anywhere. Help me decide yes or no on the track please!

I sort of wished I had one. I use the wooden ones and like them very much. My younger son tends to get a little stressed when the rods get a little out of alignment. He's worked through it, but I think a track might have made him like the rods more. My elder son didn't care if the rods got a little out of wack.

We've not yet. BUT, we have a billion C rods, so it's very easy to line up a bunch of tens to calculate a number. And, to be frank, my six-year-old would rather calculate it in her head than have to haul out the rods.

If you have issues with the rods moving on you, you can use a lipped cookie sheet to keep them straight. The only time we really have issues with them slipping is when my son is building his staircase.

My two-year-old does like it, though.

You will be find without a rod track.

I have a rod track because I am a math manipulative junkie.I find that it is most useful when learning the higher parts of the multiplication table. It's nice to pick up the rods and lay them on the track to see how much is seven brown rods without having to manually add them up. For that reason, I prefer the 100 cm track to the 50 cm track.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Xapis10
If you have it do you use it? If you don't do you ever miss it? I'm preparing to place my order. From searching old posts I'm going to go with the 155 set of smooth plastic non-linking c-rods. I don't see the track addressed anywhere. Help me decide yes or no on the track please!

Do you remember how you found old posts on what set to pick? That's what I need to decide right now. Deciding to use C-rods is only the beginning of more decisions I see :P

Do you remember how you found old posts on what set to pick? That's what I need to decide right now. Deciding to use C-rods is only the beginning of more decisions I see :P

I think I just typed in c-rod in the search and then browsed whatever came up as well as the related suggested threads that show up at the bottom of the page. Seems the overwhelming majority prefer plastic. There were fewer posts on notched/ridged vs. smooth and linking vs. regular. The search is not especially friendly.

I think I just typed in c-rod in the search and then browsed whatever came up as well as the related suggested threads that show up at the bottom of the page. Seems the overwhelming majority prefer plastic. There were fewer posts on notched/ridged vs. smooth and linking vs. regular. The search is not especially friendly.

I agree that the majority of responses I have read have preferred plastic. They are very solid...moreso IMO than the ones made of wood. There is also less color variation when combining more than one set.

I prefer the smooth versus the notched/ridged and the regular.