Menu

Very Interesting Article ~ NY Times ~ Redefining Success

This has been the topic of conversation quite a bit as our ds is home from college and has seen the pressure his fellow honors students put on them selves. His 'read' of many in that position is that they were always told how great they were and would be so to step off the treadmill was not an option. He also surmised that now that they are in college they fail to see that learning is more than memorization and will spend hours/days trying to absorb textbook material so that free time to just kick around and enjoy doing nothing is much less than for previous generations. His feeling is that high schools failed them by not teaching them how to 'learn'.

This household has always held dear the individuality of each person and the need for space and quiet time to absorb and just 'be'. I can thank my folks for that - they knew how to create a balance in life. That was our goal with ds too.

Some good quotes from the article:

" to make sure you aspire to goals because they are important to you, not because you want to impress your parents, your community or your friends."

"How do we go back to the idea that ordinary can be extraordinary? How do we teach our children — and remind ourselves — that life doesn’t have to be all about public recognition and prizes, but can be more about our relationships and special moments?"

Thanks for posting!

This household has always held dear the individuality of each person and the need for space and quiet time to absorb and just 'be'.

Some good quotes from the article:

" to make sure you aspire to goals because they are important to you, not because you want to impress your parents, your community or your friends."

"How do we go back to the idea that ordinary can be extraordinary? How do we teach our children — and remind ourselves — that life doesn’t have to be all about public recognition and prizes, but can be more about our relationships and special moments?"

Thank YOU. :grouphug:

I love the quotes that you posted.

You and your family are blessed to espouse such wonderful values. :)

Good reminder that it's ok to be average. Sometimes after reading messages on this forum I feel panic rise up in me. Average is good.

I also read this article http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/30/the-busy-trap/?src=me&ref=general The 'Busy' Trap. Good read also.

God Bless,

Elise in NC

Laughed out loud at this quote : " if your job wasn’t performed by a cat or a boa constrictor in a Richard Scarry book I’m not sure I believe it’s necessary. "