Menu

Book suggestions for sensitive, accelerated 5 year old (x-post)

My son has recently taken off with reading everything he can. In the last 4 days alone, he has read James and the Giant Peach, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and now Fantastic Mr. Fox. I have no idea what grade level these books are, but I'd love to hear about other books that he might enjoy. Keep in mind, he is only five. So, there are a lot of books he just doesn't "get". He is also very sensitive! He enjoys books about animals and adventure, but I'm not limiting any suggestions. He literally reads about 2-3 hours a day, so the more suggestions, the better! :)

Some books I've already thought of that I read to him as read alouds in the last two years are:

Mr. Popper's Penguins

Thornton Burgess' books

James Herriott's books

Thank you!

Guest lee mike

Give your children the gift of reading by using the American Library Association to select books that match both their abilities and interests. Jump-start your kids' imaginations through reading. You'll change their lives ! I personally really like one "All the World By Liz Garton Scanlon, illustrated by Marla Frazee" for children .

• 2 weeks later...
Nearly anything by Dick King Smith. He wrote the book on which the movie Babe was based, and has many delightful books about animal adventures.

I particularly like his Sophie books. I believe this is the order:

Sophie's Snail

Sophie's Tom

Sophie Hits Six

Sophie in the Saddle

Sophie Is Seven

Sophie's Lucky

Regards,

Kareni

The Penderwicks (a little girl centered but my son loved it)

Ginger Pye

Pinky Pye

Cricket in Times Square

Detectives in Togas

Mystery of the Roman Ransom

Anything by Beverly Cleary

HTH

Well, the ending of Cricket in Times Square reduced Button (sensitive, nearly 7) to tears but there's a sequel "Tucker's Countryside" and we're getting it. !!!

also, the My Father's Dragon series (there are 3 of them).

A Bear Called Paddington

The Boxcar Children. There are like 19 good-ish ones, I hear, if the child likes them ...

-- check out Sonlight's grade 1 list; maybe grade 2 or 3, if you filter ...

just a thought: it can be hard on a child's eyes to read so long at such a young age -- I gather this has to to with the physical growth of the eye socket/eye. I know some children have been provided, by their physicians, with glasses to prevent eye strain/damage, and when they are older (8 or so) these are no longer necessary. This isn't something I've had trouble with b/c Button doesn't like reading very much, but I wanted to toss it out in case you hadn't considered this ...

best of luck with your sensitive little one!