Menu

Transcript ? - Semester Grade vs. Final Grade

Any recommendations on what most colleges would prefer to see on a transcript -- only semester grades? only final grades? both semester grades AND final grades?

My 9th grader had earned lower grades (mid to high B's) in a couple of courses in the first semester, but earned better grades (low to mid A's) in the same courses in the second semester. Overall, his FINAL grade for these courses would be a very high B (about an 88.something), but if I just put "B" on his transcript as the final grade, admissions officers won't see that he actually improved from the 1st semester to the 2nd semester.

Interestingly, his unofficial transcript from FLVS only lists the semester grades, not a final grade.

I would think using only semester grades would be an advantageous approach, as it would boost a student's GPA.

Suggestions? Insights?

I list only final grades for 9th, 10th, and 11th grades. 12th grade, I list 1st semester and final grades.

I'm not sure if it matters how you list the grades in completed years. It may matter for a year in progress if dc is applying midyear to a program and the organization requests a transcript. For 12th grade, if/when your child is applying to colleges in December/January, a first semester grade, I think, is expected on the transcript.

But...take my opinion with a grain of salt because I have yet to graduate a child. Oldest dc will be in 12th in the fall. We will begin college applications in Sept (auditions in Nov/Dec) and will only have 9th through 11th grades on transcript with "in progress" classes listed.

I list only final grades for 9th, 10th, and 11th grades.

:iagree:

Our grades column for 12th:

• empty (for college applications sent in the fall)

• 1st semester grade (for college applications sent in January and beyond, or for colleges that require an additional mid-year transcript)

• final grade only (for the final official transcript sent to the college).

You'll want to clearly label your 12th grade column in a spring transcript to distinguish between semester grades and any final (CC or block) 1st semester grades.

Lots of ways to do this -- but this is what worked for us. :) Good luck!

Edited by Brigid in NC