Menu

Movie Brave okay for littles?

We've been thinking of taking our kids to see Brave. Are there any scenes in it that would likely be too intense for little ones?

We've only tried taking them to a movie in the theater once before, and that was over a year ago now. It was Kung Fu Panda 2, and our daughter (who loved watching the first one at home) ran screaming from the theater when the evil peacock started fighting.

We've been thinking of taking our kids to see Brave. Are there any scenes in it that would likely be too intense for little ones?

We've only tried taking them to a movie in the theater once before, and that was over a year ago now. It was Kung Fu Panda 2, and our daughter (who loved watching the first one at home) ran screaming from the theater when the evil peacock started fighting.

I watched it last night with a group of about 12 kids aged 6 - 12. My 6 year old boy was fine, but the two seven and eight year old girls beside him were not. At one point I heard him say, "I'll tell you when you can open your eyes." There were times when the girls had their eyes closed and their fingers in their ears. One of the girls ended up on my friends' lap partway through the movie.

I didn't have a problem with my six year old seeing it and he didn't have any issues whatsoever. However, if you have someone a little more sensitive then it's probably not something you want to see on the big screen (especially with 3D!).

My teens say there is a bad, scary bear that attacks but doesn't kill anyone. And there is a part where the mom has been turned into a bear and the dad doesn't know it's her and tries to kill her. They say it could be too much on a big screen. Our dc didn't like scary things when they were younger.

It's pretty intense in places, in ways other Disney/Pixar movies haven't been (I think it's the difference between having a threat from a known enemy and a threat from someone who is supposed to protect you)-my DD and her 7 yr old friend both were cowering in respective mom's lap in places.