Menu

Fiction books for ancient Egypt

The Golden Goblet (Eloise Jarvis McGraw)

Mara, Daughter of the Nile (also McGraw)

Casting the Gods Adrift (Geraldine McCaughrean)

God King: A Story in the Days of King Hezekiah (Joanne Williamson -- much of this book takes place in ancient Israel, but it starts in Egypt and tells a lot about life there)

Edited by Maverick_Mom

In addition to those already mentioned...

The Wadjet Eye and A Place in the Sun, both by Jill Rubalcaba

Oh, and the Theodosia series by R.L. LaFevers - A modern day fiction series with a female heroine who has adventures with Egyptian mysteries. Note that these are probably not appropriate if you have issues with magic, as in Harry Potter, for example. My kids have loved them.

Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos

Theodosia and the Staff of Osiris

Theodosia and the Eye of Horus

Theodosia and the Last Pharaoh

One more ...

Shadow Hawk by Andre Norton (noted science fiction and fantasy author)

From Amazon: "1590 B.C: Rahotep, captain of the Nubian Desert Scouts, is heir to the Nome of the Striking Hawk, which, with all of Egypt, has been under the harsh rule of the Hyksos. Accused of a crime he didn't commit and driven out of Nubia by his scheming half-brother, Rahotep flees north to Thebes, accompanied only by a loyal band of Nubian archers. Here he takes refuge in the court of the Pharaoh Sekenenre III, who is determined to free Egypt. Treachery throws Rahotep into a cell beneath the Temple of Anubis. He must escape, not only to prove his innocence, but also to join in a mission and a battle upon which hangs the freedom of Egypt from the rule of the invaders."

Regards,

Kareni

The Cat of Bubastes. I've not read it, but I have seen it on various reading lists. Royal Diaries has one for Cleopatra

Yuck! No, stars from dd11.

LOL

(Grammar/Early Logic stages)

Traitor Queen ****

Boy of the Pyramids *****

Shadow Hawk

Pharoh's Daugter: A Novel of Ancient Egypt ***

Tirzah ***

Mara Daughter of the Nile ***

His Majesty queen Hatsheput ****

The Lost Queen of Egypt

Casting the Gods Adrift: A Tale of Ancient Egypt *****

Tales of Ancient Egypt

The Golden Goblet

The Bronze Bow

I am the Mummy Heb-Nefert

Mummies in the Morning (Magie Treehouse)

Sphinx's Princess

Temple Cat

Egyptian Diary

The Pharoh and the Princess

The Egyptian Cinderella

The Plot on the Pyramid

Tut, Tut (Time Warp Trio) I love these. :)

The Magic and the Mummy

Some of the books I have the oldest read to dd5 so that she can learn too. Thus, I listed them for those families that have little ones.

We are stuck on Egypt. Can you tell?

Edited by ChrissySC

Mine are reading Tales of Ancient Egypt plus one of the following (their choice -based on what my library had:

Egyptian Fiction Choices

Golden Goblet –Eloise Jarvis McGraw (Newberry)

Ranofer struggles to thwart the plottings of his evil brother, Gebu, so he can become master goldsmith like their father in this exciting tale of ancient Egyptian mystery and intrigue.

Cat of Bubastes-GA Henty (Online/Kindle only)

A young Egyptian accidentally kills a sacred cat and must flee from an angry mob. Set in 1250 B.C., the time of Moses, this thrilling adventure also features fascinating details about Egyptian religion and geography, the methods by which the Nile was used for irrigation, and how the Egyptians were prepared for burial

Mara, Daughter of the Nile-Eloise Jarvis McGraw

Mara is a proud and beautiful slave girl who yearns for freedom. In order to gain it, she finds herself playing the dangerous role of double spy for two arch enemies - each of whom supports a contender for the throne of Egypt.

Maia of Thebes-Ann Turner

A young Egyptian girl, whose brother secretly taught her to read and write, accuses her uncle of stealing grain from the temple and must run away from Thebes to survive.

Maia and her brother Sethnet are orphaned and sent to live with their cruel aunt and uncle in ancient Thebes; and when Maia pleads with Sethnet, who is studying to be a scribe, to teach her to write, it becomes the one thing that will save her life.

Pharoah’s Daughter: A Novel of Ancient Egypt

Born into slavery, adopted as an infant by a princess, and raised in the palace of mighty Pharaoh, Moses struggles to define himself. And so do the three women who love him: his own embittered mother, forced to give him up by Pharaoh's decree; the Egyptian princess who defies her father and raises Moses as her own child; and his headstrong sister Almah, who discovers a greater kinship with the Egyptian deities than with her own God of the Hebrews. Told by Moses and his sister Almah from alternating points of view, this stunning novel by Newbery Honor-author Julius Lester probes questions of identity, faith, and destiny.

A Place in the Sun-Jill Rubalcaba

In ancient Egypt, the gifted young son of a sculptor is taken into slavery when he attempts to save his father's life, and is himself almost killed before his exceptional talent leads Pharaoh to name him Royal Sculptor

Sphinx’s Princess and Sphinx’s Queen-Esther Friesner (TEEN!!!)

Although Nefertiti is the dutiful daughter of a commoner, her inquisitive mind often gets her into situations that are far from ordinary, like receiving secret lessons from a scribe. And her striking beauty garners attention that she'd just as soon avoid, especially when it's her aunt, the manipulative Queen Tiye, who has set her sights on Nefertiti. The queen wants to use her niece as a pawn in her quest for power, so Nefertiti must leave her beloved family and enter a life filled with courtly intrigue and danger. But her spirit and mind will not rest as she continues to challenge herself and the boundaries of ancient Egyptian society. With control of a kingdom at stake and threats at every turn, Nefertiti is forced to make choices and stand up for her beliefs in ways she never imagined.

Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos _RL LaFevers

Theodosia Throckmorton has her hands full at the Museum of Legends and Antiquities in London. Her father may be head curator, but it is Theo—and only Theo—who is able to see all the black magic and ancient curses that still cling to the artifacts in the museum. Sneaking behind her father’s back, Theo uses old, nearly forgotten Egyptian magic to remove the curses and protect her father and the rest of the museum employees from the ancient, sinister forces that lurk in the museum’s dark hallways.

Oh, and the Theodosia series by R.L. LaFevers - A modern day fiction series with a female heroine who has adventures with Egyptian mysteries. Note that these are probably not appropriate if you have issues with magic, as in Harry Potter, for example. My kids have loved them.

Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos

Theodosia and the Staff of Osiris

Theodosia and the Eye of Horus

Theodosia and the Last Pharaoh

:iagree: If you have a girl, these are enjoyable & have a surprising amount of info packed into them! (Not sure how much an older boy would enjoy them necessarily? My boys are still young, so ...)CHOLL (FREE!) actually has the first one scheduled as part of their Logic-Stage Ancients program (pg 9-10 in this link).

:iagree: If you have a girl, these are enjoyable & have a surprising amount of info packed into them! (Not sure how much an older boy would enjoy them necessarily? My boys are still young, so ...)

My 11yo ds enjoyed them, but my kids don't really recognize books as "boy books" or "girl books," so we might be an anomaly. :D He dug the Rick Riordan books too, as did my girls!