Menu

Need ideas to paint room educationally

I am looking for ideas of what I can paint on the walls in the room where we do most of our homeschooling.

I cannot hang anything up like pictures, maps, decals or shelves but I can paint the whole room. I want to put lots educational stuff up there and I want it to look neat and fun too. My youngest son will be 6 in the fall, learning reading, basic arithmetic, time telling, basic geography, Ancient History (SOTW1). My two oldest sons will be 11 and 8.5 and are studying medieval history. I don't really need as much visual tools for them but I would like the walls to appeal to them somehow and not seem too juvenile. I was thinking to write some nice quotes if that is not too hard.

There is one big wall in the room with only a sofa covering part of the bottom and the other walls only have spaces around windows though some of these spaces are fairly large.

I have never done anything like this before and I'm not an artist but my drawing skills aren't awful. Although I would love to paint a world map on the wall that would be way too complicated unless there is some kind of trick.

I would love to hear your ideas or links if you have any of what I could paint on there and how!!! I have no idea what to do!

What kind of paint should i use? I don't want to use anything more toxic than regular wall paint and I don't want to spend a lot. There is a big chance that next year we will renovate that whole part of the house and paint over whatever I end up doing with a light color so this is not meant to be a permanent thing.

you do know that if you paint with multiple colors/layers of paint to make multicolored pictures.... that when you get ready to paint over, you will have to sand the entire area first so that the image isn't raised when painted over.... it can be more work than putting putty in nail holes, etc...

you do know that if you paint with multiple colors/layers of paint to make multicolored pictures.... that when you get ready to paint over, you will have to sand the entire area first so that the image isn't raised when painted over.... it can be more work than putting putty in nail holes, etc...

No, I did not know that. Is there a way I can avoid this problem?

No, I did not know that. Is there a way I can avoid this problem?

I don't know of a way honestly. I have painted over many murals, stenciled images before and they were always pains in the butt to sand out/cover. That is the main reason I refuse to paint anything other than a solid color, in addition to my refusal to stencil or wallpaper. It's just too much work for me.

Painter's tape (the blue kind, not the beige masking tape) works great for taping up things on the walls without damaging the walls. Make little rolls or wads of tape on the backs of laminated maps, whatever, and stick them up there (you'll need more tape on large maps, obviously). Or tape a nice neat border around the map.

Wall and window clings can also be handy. You can get clings that are chalkboard and whiteboard, too, if you don't want to paint the wall with special paint---I've got a whiteboard cling on my fridge from Crayola that's ruled, love it! Cost me about $10 from Walmart.

I'd do chalkboard paint on one wall and a world map wallpaper mural on another. I did a six panel wallpaper mural in my son's room. When my kids switched rooms, my 15-year-old removed the mural herself to pai t that wall. It wasn't difficult and you can't tell a mural was ever there.

I'd do chalkboard paint on one wall and a world map wallpaper mural on another. I did a six panel wallpaper mural in my son's room. When my kids switched rooms, my 15-year-old removed the mural herself to pai t that wall. It wasn't difficult and you can't tell a mural was ever there.

This does sound nice!