Menu

Soy sensitivities & Gluten

Some one educate me on gluten sensitivities please. I know I can NOT tolerate Soy, period. It is not a full blown allergy because I don't have swelling, etc. but I am IMMEDIATELY sick after digesting it. Within minutes. Someone in my other thread (about arms) mentioned gluten causing inflammation and joint pain.. I have no idea about gluten sensitivities, etc... is soy and gluten related?

Both are inflammatory foods - grains and legumes are big bad foods for inflammation. Cutting them out of your diet (specifically wheat and other gluten-containing grains as well as legumes) oftne leads to a HUGE decrease in aches/pains/joint tenderness.

I eliminated both, so I can't really tell you what was the major factor in helping with my joint pain, but I'm inclined to think it was getting rid of gluten altogether. I didn't eat a lot of things with soy, but I ate a lot of things with gluten.

Within days of stopping gluten my joints quit hurting and 90% of my inhalant allergies disappeared.

But I'm also beginning to think that it's not just soy, but all beans that I will have to get rid of. That's a little sad. I do like Pintos and cornbread.

You know, it is really difficult as it is to not consume soy when visiting with friends and family, eating out, etc.. I can't imagine eliminating soy and gluten. I don't get sick when eating foods with gluten. I do however have very, unable to ignore, symptoms with soy. I was just wondering if anyone found soy and gluten sensitivities to be related, etc... I have other weird sensitivities to things such as walnuts, bananas, sesame seeds, etc.. but none of those cause me as much pain and agony as soy.

The chemical structures of soy protein, casein (dairy protein), and gluten are apparently very similar. People who are intolerant to one, often turn out to be sensitive to the others. "Leaky gut" can cause these proteins to get into the bloodstream and provoke autoimmune responses.

I would do a 6 month trial of GFCFSF to see if that resolves your symptoms. It really isn't as difficult as it sounds. We went GFCF back in December as well as avoiding soy protein (youngest DD's integrative pediatrician says that soy oil and soy lecithin are okay for her).

The chemical structures of soy protein, casein (dairy protein), and gluten are apparently very similar. People who are intolerant to one, often turn out to be sensitive to the others. "Leaky gut" can cause these proteins to get into the bloodstream and provoke autoimmune responses.

I would do a 6 month trial of GFCFSF to see if that resolves your symptoms. It really isn't as difficult as it sounds. We went GFCF back in December as well as avoiding soy protein (youngest DD's integrative pediatrician says that soy oil and soy lecithin are okay for her).

thanks for that bit of info. Funny thing about the oil being ok.. it is the worst for me. So is the lecithin but not as bad as the oil... however, I can handle soy sauce with no issues.

Are you certain it isn't a true food allergy? I have true food allergies to tree nuts, tomatoes, and soy. When i have a reaction (shortly after accidental consumption), my heart pounds, my head throbs, and i get extremely, extremely sick for several hours (vomiting). It's truly the worst feeling ever ! With hazelnuts and almonds, my throat swells as well, but not with the other things i mentioned. Food allergies look different from one person to the next. If you haven't been tested, please do. You might need an epi-pen as food allergies can escalate quickly.

Are you certain it isn't a true food allergy? I have true food allergies to tree nuts, tomatoes, and soy. When i have a reaction (shortly after accidental consumption), my heart pounds, my head throbs, and i get extremely, extremely sick for several hours (vomiting). It's truly the worst feeling ever ! With hazelnuts and almonds, my throat swells as well, but not with the other things i mentioned. Food allergies look different from one person to the next. If you haven't been tested, please do. You might need an epi-pen as food allergies can escalate quickly.

I haven't been tested but have learned them by elimination diets when I was a teenager and they thought I had Crohn's disease like my oldest brother. They never suggested testing at the time other than not eating what bothered me. I suppose I could speak to a physician about it again. It has been 15 years and my sensitivity is worsening with age.