Menu

High school sciences

If a student needs a 4th Science beyond Biology, Chemistry and Physics, are there are particular topics that would be recommended, or can we go by interest level? I'm looking at 1/2 semester courses and will need 2 to make up that 4th credit. I'm looking at topics such as meteorology, forensic science (not sure how to approach this), astronomy, or human anatomy & physiology. The last option is to just go with an easy peasy course, Earth Science with lab, (I'm sure Keystone's course would be very easy for my son), but I don't know if that would look good on his transcript. If we go with the other topics, I would have to build those courses myself which has benefits. Any ideas? I think I'm overthinking this.

It depends on your son's goals. If he wants something that will look good on a transcript, an AP level science is a good idea. If he isn't going into a science field, and just wants to show 4 years of science on his transcript, I think anything that interests him should be fine.

This thread list creative electives, including science:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374599&highlight=forensics

Here is one about forensics:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245437&highlight=forensics

It depends on your son's goals. If he wants something that will look good on a transcript, an AP level science is a good idea. If he isn't going into a science field, and just wants to show 4 years of science on his transcript, I think anything that interests him should be fine.

Thank you Debbie. My son couldn't handle an AP level course so his transcript won't look exactly rigorous in that respect. But I don't want fluffy things either. :)

Since you said he can't handle an AP, then I would first find out not whether he wants a 4th science, but is there another class in ANYTHING that he would like to use that slot for? He doesn't *need* a 4th science, but maybe he wants to study economics in depth, or math, or a language, or an instrument, or or or....

If he does want a science, or you have decided that's what he should have, I would again first choose on interest. A 4th non-AP science really could be ANYthing. If he doesn't have a particular interest, I personally think the most useful 4th science is anatomy & physiology. After all, he's going to have to live in that body for the rest of his life. Understanding it can only be a good thing.

Environmental Science is a popular 4th science class in Texas schools.

For DD15, I'm considering doing this class from a stewardship of the Earth perspective. There are several books written on this subject which would go along nicely with a standard text.

He doesn't *need* a 4th science, but maybe he wants to study economics in depth, or math, or a language, or an instrument, or or or....

GA is changing their high school graduation requirements for kids graduating after 2012. They do want 4 sciences now. There is a list of suggestions and that is where I got those from. While he isn't getting a GA diploma, colleges will probably want to see a student has completed the new requirements. I know colleges followed the old list of requirements too.

My daughter is interested in Forensic Science, and I've looked around trying to piece something together. I saw that Great Courses has a course for it titled "Trails of Evidence: How Forensic Science Works." It happens to be on sell for just under $100 right now, so I thought I'd mention it to you as a possibility, just in case you hadn't seen it.

ETA: Here is the link -

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/tgc/courses/course_detail.aspx?cid=1190

My daughter is interested in Forensic Science, and I've looked around trying to piece something together. I saw that Great Courses has a course for it titled "Trails of Evidence: How Forensic Science Works." It happens to be on sell for just under $100 right now, so I thought I'd mention it to you as a possibility, just in case you hadn't seen it.

ETA: Here is the link -

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/tgc/courses/course_detail.aspx?cid=1190

Hey thanks Amy. :)

Ooh, even more stuff. Thanks! I'll have to ask about stuff for the other options too. Ds doesn't yet have an idea. He wants to start Chemistry first and see what the course load will be like.

Try to fit in an occasional cross-discipline activity while he does his other sciences. That will help him decide what he might be interested in for his 4th science.

For example, it would be easy to do a few chemistry-based forensic lessons during chemistry.

Mine did a semester of Astronomy paired with a semester of Environmental Science. We used Astronomy Today and Miller/Levine Enviro.

You could also always do a second section of the Big Three--Bio 2, Chem 2 (or Organic Chem), Physics 2. They don't have to be AP, they can just be continuations.