Menu

How about reading biographies of great people in history instead of usual history tx?

hmsch4me

My dd really wants to read about people in history (bios) instead of the usual History of Us series or SOTW. We are about at WWI at this point and I'm really considering this. She used to love history (Ancients - Middle Ages), then started hating it. I tried mixing it up last year, but it really didn't help. Would you opt for this style, while keeping a timeline? She is going to be in 8th - finishing up our first rotation.

I'd be sure to read at least a couple books covering whatever general era you are learning about, and then a bunch of bios on the most important people from that time. Definitely do a timeline.

I'm about to start the same approach with my 12 yo DS. I will be using the SOTW books as a spine, and then concentrating on bios of important people I want him to know about.

Michelle T

Would you opt for this style, while keeping a timeline? She is going to be in 8th - finishing up our first rotation.

I'm putting in vote for the big four of the first half of the century: Churchill, Roosevelt, Stalin and Hitler. I, personally, have regular pangs that I'll never meet Churchill. I've been reading a bit about his Boer War days.

Absolutely! Reading historical biographies helps children to truly understand the struggles and triumphs of living during that time period in that particular region of the world. This is necessary reading, IMHO. But we love historical fiction too. Don't forget to read these types of books as well.

Have fun,

Terri

Yes, definitely. BUT make sure that the author has the same spin on history that you want your child to learn. Often there is bias - and it may not correlate with the worldview that you are comfortable having your child learn.

Also books by Ballantyne, or G A Henty are great historical fiction authors that are strong, interesting and raise the bar with the writing style and vocabulary usage. They are all older books - so written with a more sophisticated style.

Pam

I'll play devil's advocate: I think a student in 8th grade should be using both strategies, not one or the other. Biographies are extremely valuable, and this is a worthwhile approach with a much younger child, but I'd say that an older student needs more of the bigger picture.

At a bare minimum, I"d have her read the SOTW chapter (or similar) and do the mapwork. That can easily be accomplished in an hour or so per week, leaving quite a bit of time for reading biographies (and doing a certain amount of follow-up reports).

Here are some of my favorites:

Great Physicists from Galileo to Einstein by George Gamow- for physical science

Andrew Jackson by H.. Brands

Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow

anything by David McCulloch

Profiles in Courage by John F. Kennedy

The Presidents Speak by Lott

The Patriots Handbook by Caroline Kennedy

Obviously, I am doing American History.

Ancients:

Plutarch's Lives

Lives of Famous Romans

Art:

Leonardo

Michelangelo

the huge ones that weigh 20 pounds

This makes me want to go dig through my boxes and find the ones I can't remember off the top of my head.

HTH sarah