Menu

***I need some fun ideas for a 4th of July Picnic!!! :o)

Well, when you come to our house over 4th of July, you are issued your own personal water gun. (We live at the shore). So in addition to running back and forth from the ocean to our house to eat, you get the added joy of being soaked while back at the house too. I think this tradition has cut down on the number of guests who come and stay. ;)

Anyway, here's a recipe we love to have and we do add some blueberries in place of the cranberries for the 4th:

Cranberry/Straberry/Jicama Salad

Oh, I forgot, until I went to get the link! In the picture they show the jicama cut into star shapes! Might do that this year!!!

Well, when you come to our house over 4th of July, you are issued your own personal water gun. (We live at the shore). So in addition to running back and forth from the ocean to our house to eat, you get the added joy of being soaked while back at the house too. I think this tradition has cut down on the number of guests who come and stay. ;)

Anyway, here's a recipe we love to have and we do add some blueberries in place of the cranberries for the 4th:

Cranberry/Straberry/Jicama Salad

Oh, I forgot, until I went to get the link! In the picture they show the jicama cut into star shapes! Might do that this year!!!

These are great ideas!! I really like the water guns idea....I know I will be shot all day long!:D:D:D:lol:

We put a hard plastic kiddie pool on the front porch full of water, and fill the wagon with water and put it in the back yard. Both are used as refilling stations. The added benefit is that older folks can sit on the front porch with their feet in the wading pool, and just lean over to refill. Watch the old folks, though. They are good shots! :)

This might not be what you were after :001_smile:

It is usually too hot to do many activities so are day goes like this.

Stay inside and watch the musical/comdey 1776. We love this movie and watch it every year it is a tradition.

Later, swim in the pool while dh grills steaks. Eat steaks with potatoe salad and watermelon (how American is that! right!)

Walk down to the retirement community by the river and watch the fireworks.

Come home and comfort the dog/cats while the neighbors set off their firecrackers. :001_smile:

Oh, decorations are a plastic flag in the front yard.

I guess we aren't very inventive.

Super ideas too!

We will be comforting our youngest kiddos....when the fireworks begin:D

I think the 1776 movie sounds like a super idea...especially if it rains;).....also if the weather is too hot for the older folks!

Thank you for sharing!!:001_smile:

I love the 4th! Ds was born on the 5th so we always have 2 reasons to celebrate. If we are with friends we do a big cookout. I do k-bobs. I get a big pork loin and chop it up, chicken thighs, sometimes steaks (depending on finances). These are so much faster to cook and you can use different marinades. For sides we always have watermelon/honeydew/canteloupe balls in the watermelon rind, fresh tomatoes with mozzarella and basil (from whichever garden we have access to), potato salad - whatever else suits our fancy that year.

The kids make 'firecrackers' - the big pretzel rods dipped in almond bark candy and red/white/blue cake sprinkles or sugar crystals. Those are always a huge hit. We usually make at least 4 bags of the pretzels.

We start filling water balloons the day before and will have a few coolers filled. We also have water guns.

In TX there has been a burn ban the last several years, so the only fireworks were the municipal display. In KS however, we could shoot fireworks off in front of our house, plus watch whatever displays were on. I'm a chicken about shooting fireworks, but the kids and dh love it so that's their thing.

• 2 weeks later...

I always (and I do mean always) make lemonade cookies--They are basically shortbread cookies that have the liquid substituted for lemonade concentrate and then, when them come out of the oven, you brush them with more lemonade and sprinkle (coat till the kitchen is white) with powdered sugar.

My family complains without them.

If you want the recipe, I will give it to you. (otherwise I am too lazy to look it up and type today)

I always (and I do mean always) make lemonade cookies--They are basically shortbread cookies that have the liquid substituted for lemonade concentrate and then, when them come out of the oven, you brush them with more lemonade and sprinkle (coat till the kitchen is white) with powdered sugar.

My family complains without them.

If you want the recipe, I will give it to you. (otherwise I am too lazy to look it up and type today)

This recipe sounds so good!!

Please post for us all!!:D:D:D

This is from the Colorado Cache cookbook (just giving credit where due :D)

Lemonade Drops

1 Cup shortening (not butter)

1 Cup sugar

2 eggs

3 Cups flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 6oz can of lemonade concentrate, thawed

Cream shortening and sugar.

Thoroughly beat in eggs.

Sift flour, soda and salt.

Add alternately with the 1/2 the lemonade (3oz)

Drop by teaspoons on a greased cookie sheet.

Bake at 375 for 15 minutes.

put in a cooling rack placed over a cookie sheet, brush with the leftover lemonade concentrate.

sprinkle with sugar and let cool.

good with ice cream.

This is a cookie that will need to be cooked fully on the sheet (not like most cookies where you take them out mostly done)--somewhere between almost done and burned on the bottom--they do not show browned very well.

If they are under cooked, you will have a soggy cookie.

I also let them cool completely, then I brush the lemonade on and I use lots of powdered sugar.

I make a double batch (usually because I forget and put half of a can of lemonade in the batter which is 6oz, not three).

I have wondered what some pine nuts added would be like.

Lara

I always make a flag cake and homemade lemon aide. I have a huge 4th quilt that I use for a table cloth and I buy a bunch of tiny flags to slip in each rolled and tied with a red/white/blue ribbon napkin. I found them 3/$1 at Target a while back. And load up the ipod with music to play off my ipod dock.

We just grill burgers and hotdogs, but I set a mean table scape :D