Menu

Cuisenaire® Rods? Are they useful?

They're integral in Miquon math, which I use in addition to SM. B/C I have them around and use them frequently with Miquon, we do pull them out and do use them for SM as well. For SM alone, I think you could substitute some other "base 10 blocks" just as well. I like manipulatives in general, and Cuisinaire blocks specifically, but if you aren't going to use them frequently (enough so that the colors become associated with their numbers in your head), then you'd likely be just as well off with a different type of Base10 block (I do think everyone should use them for K-2 grade. . )

I've always wondered how useful these would be. They are mentioned in one of the home educator's manuals for Singapore Math.

TIA

-Dana

I love mine and have a hard time letting go! My youngest will be 12 next month! lol

We used them while using Sonlight curriculum.... We used Scott Foresman math back then and then workbook type books from the cuisenaire company. A few are called everything is coming up fractions and from here to there with cuisenaire rods.

We have used them for just playing too... they kept RyLee (then 4) busy at the table while I worked with her older siblings.... I have other workbooks but I cant think of the names off the top of my head...

Great visual and hands on learning.... They were a hit with all 3 of my children.... oh and tanagrams were a hit too. The alphabet book was fun...

I have them and they are useful, but they tend to get loose and end up on the floor a lot. I've been thinking that the Math U See stacking blocks might work better since they stick together. We use Saxon and have never required the rods. We just used them for fun. We always use Duplos when lessons required "linking cubes."

They're integral in Miquon math, which I use in addition to SM. B/C I have them around and use them frequently with Miquon, we do pull them out and do use them for SM as well. For SM alone, I think you could substitute some other "base 10 blocks" just as well. I like manipulatives in general, and Cuisinaire blocks specifically, but if you aren't going to use them frequently (enough so that the colors become associated with their numbers in your head), then you'd likely be just as well off with a different type of Base10 block (I do think everyone should use them for K-2 grade. . )

:iagree: We use them and love them, but we do the SM/Miquon Combo!

I bought them because I was planning to do the Singapore/Miquon combo, but then we simply couldn't get Miquon functional for our family. I gave away the Miquon, but held onto the Cuisenaire rods thinking that they might at least be useful when we work on fractions, but honestly, other manipulatives seem more intuitive for us. I probably need to dig them out and sell them. My favorite manipulative to use with Singapore in the early levels has been a Right Start math abacus---no pieces to lose! :)

My girlfriend was homeschooled and used Cuisenaire rods---absolutely loved them and used them when she homeschooled her son--so obviously different things work for different people.

not so much for teaching math. Well, at least in my house. DS was always distracted by math manipulatives, never learned from them, but loved to use them as building pieces for various army/war scenarios.

I, on the other hand, still have fond memories of using Cuisinaire rods in kindergarten. I still remember the smell of the wood, and how much I enjoyed using them.

So it just depends on the child.

Michelle T

We use them, and ds loves them. We are going to start Miquon sometime in the next year...whenever I feel he's ready. Right now, we are doing free play and games with them. He is associating the colors with bigger than/smaller than...twice as big/half of...etc. I think when we start "official math" work, it's going to be a matter of simply putting the symbol to what he is now learning.

I vote for trying them!:001_smile: They aren't terribly expensive...and if you decide to sell them on the FSOT, I might buy them to have extra:lol: j/k

My oldest will be 11 this fall, and so far we hve nevered used them. (We have used Saxon the whole time...) I haven't the heart to tell my MIL, who bought them, that we don't use them! I should just bring them out for the 4 yo to play with...(something different than the counting bears!)