Menu

TT, Life of Fred, ??, comments please!

My dd is currently using TT pre-algebra. I like TT and she seems to do well with it. But, I have a question and a concern. I read somewhere (internet) that TT is considerably slower than other curricula. Would you agree with that statement? If so, could you tell me why?

That really isn't a big deal to me, I was just wondering. What is a big deal to me is the cost. It's so pricey! So I was looking into Life of Fred. I gather that you either LOVE Life of Fred or hate it. If you've used it, do you like it and why (or dislike it and why)?

Math does not come easily to my dd and TT has worked for us. She likes the lectures and I like that they explain step by step (no surprises) how they got the answer. I am a Math person (used to teach math and get paid for it!) but the way I think and the way my DD thinks are two completely different things. She is very creative and I am much more analytical. She and I used to get into arguments when I would try to teach her Math. So I like that TT lets her get it on her own (without Mom), allowing her to be more independent. By the way, anything that involves heavy reading comprehension won't work for her as she is dyslexic. The lecture piece is an important component. She needs that in order to understand the material. Just reading a book with Math concepts in it, wouldn't work for her.

If you have another curriculum in mind, let me know. I'm open to suggestions.

Based on your description, I think you would like LOF and your daughter would not. There is a lot of reading comprehension and analysis involved.

Since it is working, I would stick with TT. It may be a bit behind grade level, but if it is working well for her, that is important. Changing to another curriculum could frustrate her and not only set her back, but turn her off to math. Have you looked into purchasing a used set?

That being said, if you want to try something else, I would check out Chalkdust Math. We love the lectures by Dana Mosely, and it is a solid program. You can purchase the sets used, or if you search the threads here for his name, you can order the text and dvds from Amazon at lower prices. They just will not say "Chalkdust" on them, and you will not get their teacher support guarantee.

I agree that LOF is not for kids who don't like math or I should say, it isn't for kids who really don't get math. I had to change that above statement because I had one who claimed she didn't like math when really all she didn't like was repetitive arithmetic problems, she likes more involved mathematics a lot, actually.

We love LoF here (and my kid with reading domains as a major identified disability area is doing great with it-- but I just got his Stanford test scores back, and he actually has made huge gains in this area) because it does a fantastic job of explaining the "Why" of the math, not just algorithms.

It also does a great job of placing math in context, and giving a "Why do we care about this" to math, instead of "We do math because it's a course that Mom assigns." Fred makes math funny, interesting, fun, and something that you WANT to do.

However, Fred does require reading comprehension skills, the ability to connect dots while reading, the self discipline to pull out pencil and paper and jot down notes about math from the book and to actually work problems on paper, and not just read through the solutions and nod your head, "OH yeah, I get that!"

If getting video lectures is an important component of learning for your daughter, Fred will NOT give her that. If you are worried about TT being "behind," than bump up her schedule until she is working at the appropriate level for her abilities-- after all, you need to be clear on "Behind what?" The only thing a child can really be ahead of or behind is where they should be based on their capabilities. Being too far ahead of their capabilities is not good; it could force them to work on material they are not truly grasping, making them rely upon algorithms instead of actually understanding the material; and obviously working far behind capacity means some lost opportunity. Ahead or behind other programs is not really as relevant if your child would not learn as well from them, as long as she is placed appropriately in the program in which she is working-- make sense?

For additional video-based instruction that is also good, she could try the exercise sets with video support on Khan Academy, or for a different challenge, on Alcumus (Art of Problem Solving) online for free, as supplements to her Teaching Textbooks material.

If she's doing well with TT why make a switch?

I have my severely dyslexic son using TT and he loves it because he can do his math without needing my help.

I've noticed there's plenty of people who have bad things to say about TT, and most of these people have never even used the program or they don't have kids with special needs. Who cares what those people think? Use what works for your DD. :thumbup:

My dd is currently using TT pre-algebra. I like TT and she seems to do well with it. But, I have a question and a concern. I read somewhere (internet) that TT is considerably slower than other curricula. Would you agree with that statement? If so, could you tell me why?

I'm in the "if it ain't broke camp" too. My kids and I hated LOF - too wordy and took forever to get to the point. Not that it's a bad book, but it didn't work for us.

The "considerably slower" reviews are primarily targeted to the lower grades. We used TT Algebra 1 and it covers all the topics for a typical Alg 1 course. Same thing with Geometry. I haven't gone thru the TT Alg 2 or Pre-calc books yet to compare scope, but if you search on the High School board, there are some excellent discussions with input from folks who have actually used TT thru high school. I wouldn't use it for Calculus (assuming they had one), but that's because I really like the Stewart book for that.

If it's working for your daughter, then I would stick with it.

Well we'll see how this standardized testing goes (we finish tomorrow!), but so far I think TT pre-algebra has worked out fine for my dd. Have you done any standardized testing? She's finishing 8th or rising 8th? She may actually do fine on standardized testing, and it might make you feel a lot better. I wouldn't change until you have scores in-hand and scores from a prior year to compare them to. The most negative voices I've heard about upper TT stuff on the hs board are from people who haven't even used it. Don't get worried till you know there's a problem. It might be fine in your house. :)

Well we'll see how this standardized testing goes (we finish tomorrow!), but so far I think TT pre-algebra has worked out fine for my dd. Have you done any standardized testing? She's finishing 8th or rising 8th? She may actually do fine on standardized testing, and it might make you feel a lot better. I wouldn't change until you have scores in-hand and scores from a prior year to compare them to. The most negative voices I've heard about upper TT stuff on the hs board are from people who haven't even used it. Don't get worried till you know there's a problem. It might be fine in your house. :)

I think Fred is wonderful -- but as a supplement to a curriculum, NOT as a curriculum itself. It's great for kids who really "get" math and don't need five thousand and twelve repetitions of an algorithm before it becomes second nature. It has very few problems unless you order the supplementary problems book -- and it's not exactly systematic.

I think Fred is wonderful -- but as a supplement to a curriculum, NOT as a curriculum itself. It's great for kids who really "get" math and don't need five thousand and twelve repetitions of an algorithm before it becomes second nature. It has very few problems unless you order the supplementary problems book -- and it's not exactly systematic.

Is there some particular reason you quoted me? Next time maybe just hit *reply* instead of quote. You're giving me the hibby-jibbies. :D

If TT is working for your dd, stick with it. I don't pay much attention to people's assessments of whether a math program is slower or advanced - or any program really. That's why I hs so I can determine what works for my dc. I use LOF with my oldest dd and I always hear that it can only be used as a supplement but my dd is amazing in math. She also now loves math and absolutely hated it before we switched. I don't use LOF w/all my kids however b/c it doesn't suit all of their learning styles.