Menu

Need meal ideas for hot weather.

It's hot. I don't have air conditioning. I am NOT turning on the oven, and even using the range really seems to heat things up in here. So I'm looking for more meal ideas that don't require cooking. Sandwiches, salads, fruits....what else?

It's hot. I don't have air conditioning. I am NOT turning on the oven, and even using the range really seems to heat things up in here. So I'm looking for more meal ideas that don't require cooking. Sandwiches, salads, fruits....what else?

More sandwiches, salads, fruits.

Things in the crock pot. Baked potatoes in the microwave. Making pasta early in the morning for pasta salad.

I like to make up pasta salads, coleslaw, hard boiled eggs, etc. I also do a lot of grilling. Although today is even too hot for that.

And I was just complaining about the heat and grilling as my grill is in the sun....until I read your other thread. It is 67 and sunny but feels too hot to grill.

Same here and I was, literally, just sitting here and pondering the same, but with the added constraint of gluten-free. Gads.

Same here and I was, literally, just sitting here and pondering the same, but with the added constraint of gluten-free. Gads.

:grouphug: Thankfully, we have no food restrictions....unless you count super-picky kids. :glare:

When it's really hot, we stick the crock pot outside on the porch to avoid even that minimal excess heat.

Now there's an idea! But I'm afraid it would just end up being a really nice meal for my dogs. :lol:

Hummus, pitas, and vegetables

Spring rolls - lettuce, cucumber, herbs (basil, cilantro), cold meat (grilled beef, chicken, or pork, or maybe some chilled shrimp), maybe some bean sprouts or rice noodles, and a dipping sauce (peanut butter & hoisin sauce is yummy). Soften the wrappers in warm water (hot water from the tap or just microwave some water), assemble, eat.

Taco salad (the only thing that needs heating is the meat - cook it early in the day and refrigerate)

Any hearty salad (cold boiled eggs, ham, cheese, avocados... just add enough of these sorts of hearty foods to make a salad into a meal)

If you're up for something more exotic, I have a great recipe for cold Korean buckwheat noodles. :D It's a hot weather staple in our house.

Now there's an idea! But I'm afraid it would just end up being a really nice meal for my dogs. :lol:

Sometimes I run my crock pot in the garage. I can keep the beasties away from my food, but it doesn't heat up my house.

(Our a/c is on its last legs. Last year our house was in the mid 90's for two days straight. It's common in July and August for the house to reach the mid- to upper- 80's every day.)

Ooh, I just thought of something else! Sometimes I buy a rotisserie chicken at the store in the morning and refrigerate it. Then for dinner, we have cold chicken with honey mustard dipping sauce, and I'll usually microwave some peas or corn to eat with it. Maybe some bread on the side if we have it.

I love all of those things. I just wish my picky boy would eat any of it. *sigh*

What kind of things does your son like?

I cook and bake things between 10p.m. and 11p.m..

I precook rice in larger quantities so we have it cooked in the fridge for dinner.

I bake bread late in the evening because we'd die if I turned on the oven any earlier.

Sometimes, I even prep meat in the morning when I don't want to turn the stove on in the evening. We do a lot of meat in the cast iron pan because dh is a meat eater. I can live off fruit and smoothies for a while.

I don't even know what that is...

You can use regular spaghetti noodles for it, but it's better with buckwheat. In Korean it's called bibim-myeon or bibim-gooksoo (literally "mixed noodles"). The sauce for the noodles is brown sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, and Korean hot pepper paste. You mix the noodles with sliced cucumbers, boiled eggs, kimchi (you could maybe substitute either sauerkraut or pickles for the kimchi? or just leave it out altogether) and sometimes mushrooms and marinated beef. It looks something like this.

It's my husband's favorite food (but he's Korean). DD (3yo) loves it, too, but she's a pretty adventuresome eater. I think it's delicious. It's not unusual for us to eat this every single week, several days in a row, in the hot months.

I am totally in love with my sun oven. :D I bought mine online, but you can make one (instructions online). Just about anything your family eats that can be cooked in one dish will work in the sun oven. I also bake bread in it. The bread is waaaaayyyyyy better than my bread machine makes; it stays more moist.

Note: a sun/solar oven is of course not effective on cloudy days and really high humidity seems to make it take a little longer.

You can use regular spaghetti noodles for it, but it's better with buckwheat. In Korean it's called bibim-myeon or bibim-gooksoo (literally "mixed noodles"). The sauce for the noodles is brown sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, and Korean hot pepper paste. You mix the noodles with sliced cucumbers, boiled eggs, kimchi (you could maybe substitute either sauerkraut or pickles for the kimchi? or just leave it out altogether) and sometimes mushrooms and marinated beef. It looks something like this.

It's my husband's favorite food (but he's Korean). DD (3yo) loves it, too, but she's a pretty adventuresome eater. I think it's delicious. It's not unusual for us to eat this every single week, several days in a row, in the hot months.

Do you mind posting your recipe? It definitely doesn't look like something my kids will eat, but my husband might like it.

I am totally in love with my sun oven. :D I bought mine online, but you can make one (instructions online). Just about anything your family eats that can be cooked in one dish will work in the sun oven. I also bake bread in it. The bread is waaaaayyyyyy better than my bread machine makes; it stays more moist.

Note: a sun/solar oven is of course not effective on cloudy days and really high humidity seems to make it take a little longer.

I hadn't really looked at these before, but this is interesting. Which one do you have? Can you use it even in winter, as long as the sun is shining?