Menu

Any good chapter books on ancient egypt?

Not sure of your age group but here are a few:

Mara, Daughter of the Nile

Pharoahs of Ancient Egypt

Tut's Mummy: Lost and Found

Cleopatra

The Cat of Bubastes by Henty (best for older, middle grade student or get the audiobook..it is excellent!

For girls, the Promised Land Diaries have a few dealing w/ that time period. We found 2 at our library: Laughing Princess of the Desert and Songbird of the Nile

I know we had more, but I can't remember. I'll post more when I can dig through our Anc. Egypt box!

I found The Cat of Bubastes in the Dover catalog. I thought it looked fantastic and I am probably going to order it. Is it something I could read aloud to my K and 1st grader or should I get it simply for my enjoyment for the time being?

And how about The Golden Goblet? Could that be a K/1st read aloud?

Tara

I found The Cat of Bubastes in the Dover catalog. I thought it looked fantastic and I am probably going to order it. Is it something I could read aloud to my K and 1st grader or should I get it simply for my enjoyment for the time being?

And how about The Golden Goblet? Could that be a K/1st read aloud?

Tara

I would wait on Cat of Bubastes. Golden Goblet, maybe, but I would probably wait with this one, also.

There are some good picture books for this age that would be better choices.

Croco'nile by Roy Gerrard, The Shipwrecked Sailor: A Tale from Ancient Egypt by Lyla Pinch Brock or Mummies Made in Egypt by Aliki would be good ones to try.

Croco'nile by Roy Gerrard, The Shipwrecked Sailor: A Tale from Ancient Egypt by Lyla Pinch Brock or Mummies Made in Egypt by Aliki would be good ones to try.

We've read them all. :)

I saw that Golden Goblet got some really terrible reviews on Amazon.

Tara

These are the books we use:

Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt

Shadow Hawk

Mara, Daughter of the Nile

The Golden Goblet

The Amulet

Pyramid

The Hittite Warrior

Egyptian Temple sticker book

Growing up in Ancient Egypt

selected poems from the Harp and Laurel Wreath

and

The Bible

We read

The Boy of the Pyramids by Ruth Fosnik Jones. I had to do an interlibrary loan to get it though. Simply Charlotte Mason has it as an e-book if you can't get it at library. My kids enjoyed it a lot.

We also read Egyptian Diary: The Journal of Nakht by Richard Platt. It is a long picture book and we read a journal entry each night. My kids got way more out of it in a prolonged reading than they would have if we read it in one sitting.