Menu

Ideas for 8yo bday girl who doesn't need/want anything?

We loved seeing the movie Nim's Island but it won't be released to DVD until August 5th..urgh! That would have been perfect as a gift. The only other thing she's mentioned is a few reader chapter books of The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe she saw at a book warehouse.

I have plenty of things I need to get for her, like craft kits for our handicrafts time, a pocket microscope for science, I've mentioned getting the Animals of the World Map poster for her room (she loves geography and animals). I just feel guilty giving her these things as presents since I was going to get them anyways.

So...should I get these things that I was already going to get? I'm one of those "perfect gift" type people who really think about what to get and so this is a different approach this year. She doesn't need a thing, she's got plenty, in fact I'm still purging. She does want a fan for her bedroom but that is such a utility gift.

Is this a get over it moment for me?

Also, she wants a princess cake. Is there a way to do this without going the Disney or Barbie princess route? I've never done a shaped cake before, I consider myself lucky to be able to do a two-layer cake! :lol:

Help!

Have you heard the Focus on the Family audio of The Chronicles of Narnia? We have the whole set and all 3 of my girls love listening to all of them. The Last Battle was the only one that didn't suck them right in. That might be fun.

Otherwise, I'd get the things you were going to get anyway. All of those things are things she'd enjoy, and if there's nothing she's DYING to have, go for it!

You just moved, right? Is there anything else that would be nice for her to have for her room (in addition to the fan)? A throw pillow for the bed, fun curtains, an area rug, a bulletin board? You can find fans in fun colors these days, so it wouldn't seem so utilitarian.

Another thought is to give her an experience. Tickets to an upcoming play? Certificate for a mother-daughter dinner at a nice restaurant? A session of lessons (art, dance, yoga) she's been wanting to try?

Melinda beat me to it!

I think something to help her dress up her room a bit would be lovely! There is a book by American Girl called "Room Crafts" that dd loves! It has several themes to use when decorating (dots, glitter, etc...), and has multiple crafts to go with each theme (pillows, reading lamps, trash cans are the ones that spring to mind.) Perhaps this book and a GC to Target/ WMart/ KMart to pick up the necessary items?

-Robin

ETA: The cake! A friend of dd's had a simple, baby pink frosted, double layer cake with a tiara on the top. I think the mom got the tiara from Libby Lu, but if your WMart has a bridal crafts department, they would probably have them!

-A watch. Duh, why didn't I think of this before???

-A world map, a children's one I found at Target for less $$ but it's gorgeous and has the clouds, planets, etc. on it. She'll LOVE it.

- a fan for her room, just a blue one, no thrills but she has asked for it

We're taking a week long trip to the beach with things to do so I think this is it for her birthday this year. I've been thinking about her getting her own library card, sort of a "you're old enough now" type thing.

I love the tiara on the cake idea! So easy. Thanks all!

Does she have a charm bracelet? If not - get a decent one, and a couple charms to go on it. If she takes to it, charms are great to buy on vacations, or to get for b'days/holidays. I have my old one, and my aunts from the 1930s/40s - full of charms and very cool.

We loved seeing the movie Nim's Island but it won't be released to DVD until August 5th..urgh! That would have been perfect as a gift. The only other thing she's mentioned is a few reader chapter books of The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe she saw at a book warehouse.

I have plenty of things I need to get for her, like craft kits for our handicrafts time, a pocket microscope for science, I've mentioned getting the Animals of the World Map poster for her room (she loves geography and animals). I just feel guilty giving her these things as presents since I was going to get them anyways.

So...should I get these things that I was already going to get? I'm one of those "perfect gift" type people who really think about what to get and so this is a different approach this year. She doesn't need a thing, she's got plenty, in fact I'm still purging. She does want a fan for her bedroom but that is such a utility gift.

Is this a get over it moment for me?

Also, she wants a princess cake. Is there a way to do this without going the Disney or Barbie princess route? I've never done a shaped cake before, I consider myself lucky to be able to do a two-layer cake! :lol:

Help!

My mom used to do the cake with the doll in the middle and a crown on top. I thought that was totally cool. My dd's are at that age where they dont want or need anything, those are the hardest. I love the old days of huge lists. NO thought involved. Just internet and credit card. I think jewelry is special.

Aaw, the good ol' days.

Jet