Menu

How do you organize your own notes?

I am starting to get some materials for ds in the fall, I wanted to read through a few things in advance and particularly in our Middle Eastern studies I need to read through literature and make decisions as to what sections to have ds work on, kwim?

So I want to read and take notes but I'm debating how to go about that. I don't have a habit of taking notes on the computer, but maybe I should develop one -- just in MSWord? Something else? Use notebooks? Use index cards and a box?

Just curious what others do...

I usually jot notes on small 5 x 8 tablets I keep for note taking while reading or jotting. I also use Post It flags to note quotes I find interesting.

I type up the handwritten notes, and sometimes scan in the quotes and organize them. I use Evernote for this, but MS Word would work as well.

If I am using this with a lesson that is some distance in the future, I would do one of two things: print out the notes and put them with the lesson materials or put a note with the materials to remind me I had the notes.

I have 3 big binders of notes (one for each kid). Some by hand, some in MS word. I pull them out before I introduce new things to refresh myself. I also make notes of how many pages of material I think would be an appropriate day/week as I am reading to give myself something to lok back- doesn't always work out right- but it is close

I have a notebook.....it has notes all over it. They are not at all organized....but I have no problem finding what I need.....I use lots of post it notes too. I use them as I read....then stick them in my notebook. Nothing fancy or even well thought out.....but it works!

Are you able to get different kinds of post-it notes over there? Post-it flags, small post-its, etc. etc. I use index cards (5X7) for my own personal reading. However if it's a spot in a book I want to mark, post-its are the way to go. Then you can write on it and find it quickly and they're right there, with the book.

Thanks for the comments. Maybe it's going to be a trial and error thing. I'm not against post it notes, but at least for some of the books I only have one copy that I'll have to share with ds and I'm not sure how distracting having notes in the book will be.

Mostly I just need to jump in and see what works -- I really appreciate reading how others go about it..

Thanks again