Menu

History of Music

My dd would like to learn about the history of music. What do you recommend? :bigear::bigear:

ETA: Sorry, i had to tend to a dc. Anyway, my dd is interested in learning about some music history, When I asked what specifically she wants to know more about, she said starting with the 70's and 80's, LOL. Anyone have any ideas?

Edited by RainbowSprinkles

We read about composers and listen to their works. I try to do it in chronological order. Mike Venezia has a "Getting to Know Mozart, etc." series and we have mostly used Opal Wheeler's books. I will also go through more contemporary music, again in chronological order from ragtime to today.

This looks interesting.. http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/interactive/2011/jun/11/history-modern-music-timeline

I don't have much in the bookmarks for modern music "history".. lol

For the classics though, I also recommend Mike Venezia's books. Confessions of a homeschooler has a nice study/lapbook that uses those. http://www.confessionsofahomeschooler.com/blog/2012/01/worlds-greatest-composers-vol-1.html

http://www.amazon.ca/Illustrated-History-Music-Musicians-Middle/dp/2894425570/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1339937363&sr=8-3

Our piano teacher recommended this series. We haven't used it yet but I did look through her copy and it looks really thorough yet interesting. For us, the time period will link in nicely with our history/literature selections next year.

I thought they had a version that was more current??? I checked but can't find it....but I don't have a lot of time right now. I could have been dreaming but I thought there was one on the 60s/70s (Elvis, The Beatles, etc)

Good luck!

I recently found a book in my mom's craft bin that she found at a thrift store - she was planning to tear up the pages for art journaling!!!! The book is People and Music by Thomasine C. McGehee. This book was copyright 1973 and introduces the jr high student to "high fidelity." lol I was so excited! I planned to have dd11 read and do CM-style narrations for each section. (I was also horrified that my mother had already torn out 2 pages for the sake of art!!!!!! As I researched the book online, I found that the book was originally from 1929 and has been continually updated and revised over the years. I just recently purchased a 1931 edition. I have not read through every page, but I think there must be something in a book with such endurance in the 20th century!

This would probably be for your dd in a year of two, but you could learn from it now. I starts with the Greeks and Asia.

BTW the 1931 book is lovely, but it does contain a couple of racial terms (the one in NAACP) that we don't use. I have not looked closely enough to see if there are others or stereotyping.