Menu

s/o Dwarf Rabbit or Guinea Pig?

Other thread reminded me I've been meaning to ask this... :)

I think we've finally talked youngest dd out of a dog. In many ways a dog would be great for her (she would love something that would take orders from her), but they are so much work, and have to be boarded if you go away, and walked daily, and the rest of us really aren't dog people to want to do all that work (love others' dogs, don't want one myself).

We already have three cats, and love them. She wants her own pet. Other dd has a ball python (which honestly is a lovely pet, very low maintenance). A rat is out, don't like them, and think of them as snake food.

So... she's been asking for a guinea pig now. I'm hestiant because my friend's dd had one and there was always stuff from the cage all over the floor. Also, I hear they do better in pairs, and I really think one is our max. And I've got a 36" x 18" spot we could put a cage, and apparently that's a bit small, especially for two gpigs.

Someone suggested a dwarf rabbit. I know they can be litter trained. That is huge. I know they can gnaw on things - do the dwarf ones do this as badly? Can it be handled if they're only let out while supervised? Do they stink less than gpigs? Do they mind living alone? Would the above mentioned cage size be sufficient for a dwarf rabbit? Does the litter box go right in the cage?

Dd's door has a screen door on it so the cats can't get in, so it's possible a small pet could be let out to get some exercise while supervised, especially if it's litter trained.

Any other ideas for a pet for her that isn't too much work but interacts? (like not a fish or turtle).

Rabbits chew...everything. And yes, even the cute little dwarf ones. :glare: That being said, rabbits are CUTE and a LOT of fun! :) We have 6. I do NOT suggest keeping them in a cage that size. Rabbits NEED space to run and hop and well...be rabbits! Guinea pigs are much more suited for a cage. Our 6 rabbits have free roam of "most" of our house. If you do get a rabbit, consider gating off a small section of your house and letting it out for at LEAST a few hours each day and only caging it during the night. The can be litter trained quite easily. Females especially will mark their territory by leaving poop pellets everywhere (spaying them will help this). BUT, the pellets are DRY and easy to sweep or vacuum. :) Rabbits are NOT low maintenance as many people think. Guinea pigs, I think, would be far EASIER to care for...more like a hamster. Please do your research if you plan to buy either. There are several wonderful house rabbit sites on the internet. As far as companions...rabbits ARE social animals and if you purchase the rabbits together as BABIES you will have a far better chance at bonding them. Females together are difficult to bond...very territorial. We had a time trying to get all 6 of ours to live in harmony. LOL. Best scenario is a NEUTERED male with a female. Food is not expensive and we use non-clumping, paper based cat litter (Yesterday's News brand) for the litter box. We constructed our own "cage" (it's really a condo) using those wire cubical shelves. It's really quite a set-up! :tongue_smilie: Anyway...we love our rabbits...except when they chew through $80 Macbook power cords...then not so much. :glare:

I wouldn't get a dwarf rabbit. The little ones tend to bite. What about a big rabbit like a flemish giant? They don't usually get that big, are really smart, super friendly, and cute. I'd get a guinea pig over dwarf rabbit because they don't bite much. My friend has a few flemish giants and they have the run of the house with the dogs and cats. They get along. I don't know how she did it, but full grown they are about the size of a big cat.

Rabbits chew...everything. And yes, even the cute little dwarf ones. :glare: That being said, rabbits are CUTE and a LOT of fun! :) We have 6. I do NOT suggest keeping them in a cage that size. Rabbits NEED space to run and hop and well...be rabbits! Guinea pigs are much more suited for a cage. Our 6 rabbits have free roam of "most" of our house. If you do get a rabbit, consider gating off a small section of your house and letting it out for at LEAST a few hours each day and only caging it during the night. The can be litter trained quite easily. Females especially will mark their territory by leaving poop pellets everywhere (spaying them will help this). BUT, the pellets are DRY and easy to sweep or vacuum. :) Rabbits are NOT low maintenance as many people think. Guinea pigs, I think, would be far EASIER to care for...more like a hamster. Please do your research if you plan to buy either. There are several wonderful house rabbit sites on the internet. As far as companions...rabbits ARE social animals and if you purchase the rabbits together as BABIES you will have a far better chance at bonding them. Females together are difficult to bond...very territorial. We had a time trying to get all 6 of ours to live in harmony. LOL. Best scenario is a NEUTERED male with a female. Food is not expensive and we use non-clumping, paper based cat litter (Yesterday's News brand) for the litter box. We constructed our own "cage" (it's really a condo) using those wire cubical shelves. It's really quite a set-up! :tongue_smilie: Anyway...we love our rabbits...except when they chew through $80 Macbook power cords...then not so much. :glare:

:iagree: And I'm glad we're not the only ones who built a "condo" for our buns. We used those wire cubicals as well. We made it two stories with a ramp going up to the second floor. The first floor had "hiding" areas in case they didn't want to be bothered. And we carpeted the second floor. Needless to say, before we had kids, our fur kids were a bit spoiled. :lol:

Rats! They're highly intelligent, trainable, friendly, bond well with their people, and don't chew as much as rabbits. You can train them to hang out on your shoulder while you go about your day. They'll groom you once they get to know you. If you have to have a smallish cage pet, rats are the way to go.

ETA: Saw that you said you don't like rats, but seriously, give them a try. My mom used to hate them. Now she's one of the biggest rat fans around.

My dwarf rabbit never chewed things but my guinea pigs did. They would chew on the wood furniture so you had to watch them constantly if they were out of their cages. My rabbit lived by himself in a cage just about the size you mentioned (when he was full grown he was the size of a guinea pig, maybe a tiny bit bigger.) We had guinea pigs too at the time and he got along very well with them. We let him out of the cage in the evenings to hop around, and when he needed to use the bathroom, he'd hop right into his cage, use it, and then hop out (he was litter trained w/ a small litter 'bowl' right in his cage).

Honestly, I think they are both nice pets for a kid. :001_smile:

ETA: Saw that you said you don't like rats, but seriously, give them a try. My mom used to hate them. Now she's one of the biggest rat fans around.

Well, it's not so much that I don't like rats, but I have a hard time getting one as a pet if we were feeding its friends to the snake. If I start thinking of them as friendly and cuddly, the snake will starve. :tongue_smilie:

Unfortunately there is a dark-side to the Netherlands Dwarf Rabbit story.

We had one. And did not know until after we got it that their size is the result of an inherited genetic mutation.

It seems one-quarter of the kits are born full sized, which is bad for them, as there is no market for large-dwarfs, so they are usually killed.

One-half are dwarfs.

And one-forth are what are euphemistically called "peanuts." These "peanuts" have a lethal genetic mix that results in them struggling to live for several weeks before they die.

While the one-half that are "dwarfs" are cute, I personally (even though I unknowingly made the mistake once) would not get another knowing what I know now. And the Neatherland Dwarf we had was the least friendly rabbit we ever owned.

Sorry for the bad story, but I thought you'd prefer to know in advance.

Bill

Rabbits can be great pets but I am going to add that the bigger ones are more laid back just like orange cats tend to be "bomb-proof."

We had a mini-rex and she was great. But she was hyper, into everything, opening doors, spreading mess everywhere, chewing everything. And begging in front of the refridgerator for anything sweet. We loved her to death and she was good but her littermates all went through very nippy teenagerhood and didn't like to be held.

Now, we have a German/Giant red eyed white Angora. She is twice the size of our mini-rex and looks even bigger when it is getting close to time for a haircut. She is more timid, laidback and likes to sit next to us. She has never nipped and is a very sweet rabbit.

Things about rabbits:

they don't always like to be held and it will scare them

litter box training will take months and there will still be random pellets

smaller rabbits tend to be high strung and more bitey

you need to spend time with your rabbit to let it get to know you

start with a small space and slowly open up your house as you rabbitproof

wires are "tasty vines"

wood is yummy (apple whips help with chewing)

sweets, sugary treats and fruit can be bad and kill your rabbit over time

pellets & hay only for the first 4 months

But they are wonderful, fun, loving pets that bring a world of joy into your life.:001_smile: