Menu

Somebody tell me how to keep baby rabbits alive!

It's extremely difficult to raise rabbits by hand. Even if they survive a while, they tend to get have problems weaning and die because they do not have healthy intestinal flora. I have a friend that tried it last summer. Bunny got sick and died not long before they were going to release it. Here is a good summary ... you might want to call a rescue. They probably won't take the bunnies but they may have good local suggestions.

http://www.2ndchance.info/bunnies.htm

I didn't realize it was so difficult. Some of my fondest childhood memories are of helping to care for baby rabbits with my father and siblings. I think we raised and released 3 separate batches. (You would thing the rabbits would have found a better yard than ours!) I used to love feeding them with the medicine dropper. I think my father used some kind of formula from the vet.

Put them back out into the yard and hope for the best. If they are able to hop and have their eyes open, they will find liquid and grass and be OK.

Baby rabbits are delicate. Really all rabbits are delicate. It is so easy to kill one through feeding. If they don't have the right type of milk, they will die. If you give them too much milk, they will die. If you don't give them enough milk or they don't eat (which they often choose to do), they will die. Most likely they will die.

I've been through this so many times with friends in real life and online and they all die within 2 weeks. Even then ones who started to eat pellets and/or greens died.

So just put them back and God will take care of the rest. Don't feel too bad about it. It happens all the time and there are plenty of rabbits out there running wild and free.:001_smile:

I'd post a few adds looking for a new mother cat. Some cats will take the extras happily, some won't so you might have to try a few. The odds of them living will be higher that way though than it will with trying to bottle raise them.

I don't mean that you should necessarily bring home a new cat, but see if anyone else would be willing to allow you to put the rabbits in with their cat.

I found a wildlife rehab that will take them. It was too intimidating, after reading about how difficult it is, to attempt it myself.

I'm so glad. We have a wildlife rescue here, and once they had some tiny abandoned cottontails, and contacted our rabbit rescue to find a mama bunny who would not mind a few extra mouths to feed. It worked out well.

Wendi