Menu

Bizzarre encounter in front of my house

Earlier today my dh took our two boys on a bike ride, and my 12yo and a 15yo on a skateboard ran into each other at a corner. Both boys were fine, and we didn't think much about it.

About 30 minutes ago a man approached my dh as washed our van in the driveway. According to him, his son said that my dh is the one that ran into him. The dad said that his son's knee was torn up, and he planned to go to the police department in the morning and file a report. He then requested my dh's name and phone number, since he knew where we lived anyway, and my dh--for some reason that I personally can't fathom--gave it to him. He asked for the other man's info, and when he went to get a notepad to write it down, the man sped off.

I'm slightly freaked out, and seriously annoyed that my husband gave this guy our information. I can't imagine what dude thought the police would do, but fine--let the police approach us. Don't deal with some random guy making false accusations.

What is the hive's take on what happened? What could this guy's motive be? How should we handle things from here on out, assuming there is something to handle?

ETA: So we spoke with a cop friend, who said to call the nonemergency line of our police department to give them a heads up about this guy. He said that it was definitely really weird. He confirmed that the guy could have gotten our info anyway (which isn't the point, dh--but whatever).

Edited by Mamabegood
Shoot, that should have been "Bizarre."

Hmm. Can't fathom the guy's intentions, but your name and phone number could be easily obtained through a reverse directory search. If that's all the info he got, I'd think it weird, and keep my eyes open, but not panic.

I'd be much more concerned if he had your social security number, insurance policy number, etc. I suppose you could make a preemptive call to the police and have your call on record in case this guy tries to pull some kind of scam. Take a photo of your son's injuries, if any.

Bizarre. :001_huh:

I'm wondering, would it be wise to pre-empt and call the police yourselves, under suspicion of a scam? Make a police report recording your side of what happened, so if these people call the police there is already a file. First story often gives the higher impression of honesty (especially if it IS the truth LOL), and puts THEM in the position of having to prove otherwise rather than reverse. Just a thought? Not sure what I would do!

I'm wondering, would it be wise to pre-empt and call the police yourselves, under suspicion of a scam? Make a police report recording your side of what happened, so if these people call the police there is already a file. First story often gives the higher impression of honesty (especially if it IS the truth LOL), and puts THEM in the position of having to prove otherwise rather than reverse. Just a thought? Not sure what I would do!

:iagree: Sorry you are having to deal with this.

Um, aren't the sidewalks city property? Your neighbor pal might be fishing for something from the city. $$$$$

Go take a look at the area of impact, and see if the sidewalk is in safe condition.

No one in their right mind is going to think bumping into each other on the street is lawsuit worthy. (Notice I said, "right mind").

Um, aren't the sidewalks city property? Your neighbor pal might be fishing for something from the city. $$$$$

Go take a look at the area of impact, and see if the sidewalk is in safe condition.

No one in their right mind is going to think bumping into each other on the street is lawsuit worthy. (Notice I said, "right mind").

In our city, sidewalks are the responsibility of the homeowner whose property the sidewalk crosses. I imagine that varies by locality, but it is not always the city. Could also be the responsibility of the homeowner's association.

But I think your theory might be right on!

This happened at the local elementary school, on school property. I can't imagine that the guy could sue the school district, I'm sure that technically none of them should have been on school property in the first place.

Anyway, the police department said that no laws were broken since it was an accident, but if the guy comes in the info that we gave would come up on the computer. No news so far, and I'm hoping that the man realized his kid was lying (why he lied, I have no idea), and felt like an idiot for his own weird behavior.

Well, four days later and the dad tried to file his report. The police department told him that it was a civil matter, not a criminal matter, so no report was taken. He brought medical records showing that his son has a sprained knee and a fracture (not sure what was fractured). I feel bad that this boy was hurt, although the boys saw him that same night riding his skateboard at a fast pace when they were coming home. I wonder if he hurt himself later, because he said he was fine at the scene of the accident with my son. Well, that and the fact that he and/or his dad lied and said my husband is the one who ran into him, so I don't trust anything they say.

Any suggestions, Hive? I told my dh not to speak with them in person or on the phone, because I think it has the potential to make things worse. We really don't have the money for an attorney is this guy decides to sue us. :001_huh: Would any of our insurance (homeowners, maybe?) cover something like that?

No, a police officer stopped by to "hear our side of the story" and tell us that the man tried to file a report this morning. She seemed surprised to learn that we had already spoken to the police about it on the nonemergency line--not sure why she wasn't informed based on what we were told when we called. :confused:

Wow, that is really weird, the small details and such.

Be interesting if things got really far gone and there was some sort issue about reasonable precaution such as safety gear (knee pads) or even signs out that way that says no skateboarding..lots of school areas have those posted.

Why would a grown father go gonzo for a filing? Seems like one would just get the needed treatment and use their insurance properly. What the heck could he want? For you to cover the deductible or something?

Doesn't it kinda make you wonder if he has a history of filing lawsuits? I've known people like that.

I would document everything, especially the date and time you saw the boy on his skateboard.

Document, document, document. Everything. What your son said happened, what the dad said to you, what you said to him, your talk with the police, etc. Names, times, places. Get as specific as you can remember, while you can still remember somewhat clearly.

Having it all ready and waiting will help you when you need to cough up your side of the story, whether it is to the police, insurance or whomever.

Not that you really need this right now, but----

There's a site called PACER, you have to go through a few hoops to access it.

http://www.pacer.gov/

Oftentimes, attorney's and the general public have reasons to get into it for documents and previously filed cases.

I'm not positive if you could run his name in PACER and return anything, but it couldn't hurt anything. It can be a handy little search base for various reasons.

I've had it for years and years.

You might be able to stop down to the courthouse and ask if Mr. Rogers has any documented stuff on file. There might be a pattern to it, most folks call it insurance fraud if the right elements are there.

That's a good idea, and I'm filing it away for future reference. Right now, we don't have his name, since he drove off rather than give it. The police didn't give it to us either, but we didn't ask so maybe they would have?

I hate this feeling. I don't like waiting around for him to make his next move, especially since I worry he's not playing with a full deck. :(

Go talk to neighbors now, and ask if they saw the kid on his skateboard after the incident w/ your son. That way you have witnesses if he attempts to take you to civil court. Might want to see if there were other witnesses to the accident w/ your son too, since he is trying to place blame on your dh.