Menu

bag idea needed for my kids

We are planning a trip to WDW in November and I was thinking I would get each child a backpack to carry waterbottles and "other stuff"....but then I got to thinking that they probably won't want to carry a back pack for days on end...so then I was thinking of just getting waterbottle holder or small bag that they could put over their shoulder...and if it could hold a small snack too, that would be a bonus. Oh, my kids are 12, 10 and 8 (but they are small in size, so it has to be something on the smaller size). If you have any thoughts for me that would be great.

We are actually planning a trip to the Omaha Zoo in aobut 1 1/2 weeks, so if it would be something on Amazon (we have prime) we would test drive it then.

thanks.

All theme parks include bag checks at the entrances. For that reason we carry 1 bigger tote bag instead of 5 smaller bags, one on each person. It takes about 10x longer to get into the park if you are carrying lots of little bags with little compartments. Each bag must be removed from the person, all compartments opened and checked, and then everything put back together. I use a large tote bag with a smaller zippered section - it takes me two seconds to have it checked at the entrance, plus then I have room to stash purchases or water bottles, etc. HTH! We are in WDW later today thru Sunday.

I thought maybe Built NY would have something like that but I don't think they have exactly what you are looking for. You could probably add a strap to this but not sure if there's enough room for a snack. THey have different sized bags for different sized water bottles, so maybe if you size up?

http://www.builtny.com/water-bottle-tote-12-18-ounce-prod.html

thank you. I guess I was I really looking for is a small bag with a longer strap where the kids could wear it across their bodies and on one shoulder. We have some of those more lightweight backpacks with the cords (rather than a wide strap) and my kids don't like wearing them for long times...everything flops around and the cords dig into their shoulders. Maybe there isn't anything like what I want....without spending an arm and a leg.

thanks.

All theme parks include bag checks at the entrances. For that reason we carry 1 bigger tote bag instead of 5 smaller bags, one on each person. It takes about 10x longer to get into the park if you are carrying lots of little bags with little compartments. Each bag must be removed from the person, all compartments opened and checked, and then everything put back together. I use a large tote bag with a smaller zippered section - it takes me two seconds to have it checked at the entrance, plus then I have room to stash purchases or water bottles, etc. HTH! We are in WDW later today thru Sunday.

Yes, the bag check are sometimes very annoying and LONG. So the less bags/compartments the better :)

thank you. I guess I was I really looking for is a small bag with a longer strap where the kids could wear it across their bodies and on one shoulder. We have some of those more lightweight backpacks with the cords (rather than a wide strap) and my kids don't like wearing them for long times...everything flops around and the cords dig into their shoulders. Maybe there isn't anything like what I want....without spending an arm and a leg.

thanks.

Do you have time to make little drawstring bags? My mom made some for us when we were kids, and then I made some for my nieces and nephews one year. They're pretty easy to make, and you can make the string/strap as long and as thick as you like. Here's an example of one- you can alter it to make the string pass through wider and make a "strap" of folded over fabric.

I got a small Patagonia sling bag (1 shoulder, across body) off ebay for a good price. I love it. Holds a water bottle, snacks, etc. I use it as my regular day bag (it's easier to handle at the store/zoo/park than a purse). If you can get your hands on something like that, it's great!

This is exactly what I have (color and all).

Edited by alisoncooks

Have you gone to WDW before??? We have gone three times in three years LOL We LOVE it. The perfect vacation for us. No cooking, we go when you get the meal plan for free. Or cleaning, the maids at the resort do that. And plenty to keep the kiddies entertained :)

November should be perfect. We went the week after Thanksgiving once and the weather was beautiful. Shorts/t-shirts during the day. & a light jacket at night. And NO rain they whole time. We have also gone in March, which was pretty much the same weather, but a little bit more rain.

If need any help planning feel fre to message me. I LOVE to plan our trips (meals, days at the park, etc) LOL

This is pretty expensive, especially if you buy multiples

http://www.rei.com/product/773355/osprey-veer-vertical-shoulder-bag

Not sure if you are using a reusable water bottle or not, but here's one for a Klean Kanteen http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=sling+for+klean+kanteen&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=2846473422382444144&sa=X&ei=wlDXT6OxD6qY6QHf682SAw&ved=0CI8BEPMCMAE

No room for a snack in that though.

If you had something like a KK with a loop cap I guess you could clip it onto a fanny pack or a small bag that would hold a snack, or even a belt loop?

http://www.lunchville.com/product/SBINER3/Klean-Kanteen-S-biner-3%20/

I don't think any of those are exactly right for your needs but I thought I'd toss them out there.

I like a "field bag" for that kind of trip. They are cross-body bags with room for a water bottle and perhaps a notebook and a snack. Etsy has some lovely ones.

If you are handy, they are very easy to make. You can even whip one up out of a pair of outgrown cargo pants, thus costing you nothing. There are lots of field bag tutorials out there.

Here's another great resource for making one, with inspiration pics and links to quite a few tutorials. If you don't sew, try etsy or consider asking a sewing teen to make you some.

I agree. We went to WDW with 2 of my sisters and 4 total kids. We took two backpacks for the adults to carry and that's it. If you have more stuff, then you are more likely to leave bags behind at snack stops or in rides. Kids get tired of carrying stuff and start to complain. Plus, yes, the bag checks!

Have you gone to WDW before??? We have gone three times in three years LOL We LOVE it. The perfect vacation for us. No cooking, we go when you get the meal plan for free. Or cleaning, the maids at the resort do that. And plenty to keep the kiddies entertained :)

November should be perfect. We went the week after Thanksgiving once and the weather was beautiful. Shorts/t-shirts during the day. & a light jacket at night. And NO rain they whole time. We have also gone in March, which was pretty much the same weather, but a little bit more rain.

If need any help planning feel fre to message me. I LOVE to plan our trips (meals, days at the park, etc) LOL

no we have never gone before. We are meeting my in-laws in Florida. we don't really know yet what we plan to do. I do know we don't plan on buying the meal plan becasue we hardly ever eat out and my kids get burned out pretty quickly on rest. food and prefer home cooked meals. We plan to (probably) stay on site in a place with a kitchen of sorts, plan to use grocery delivery services (or just go graocery shopping) when we arrive...or even fill one suitcase with food. My MIL can probably bring things like a crock pot and if we plan right, I think we can do it fairly easily. I would imgine that my in-laws will go stay in the room some afternoons so my MIL is willing to work on supper meals at that time. Other than that, we haven't figured out much else. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. The ages of my kids are 12, 10 and 8.

thanks.