Menu

Ugh, pierced ears in 14yo daughter ....

We let our daughter get her ears pierced four years ago. They never "took" (we tried for more than a year, but they kept infecting even though she took care of them and even after the year, they closed within days of taking the posts out). Since that time, she's actually glad because she doesn't want pierced ears anymore anyway.

Well, the marks/scars were still there and just this week, they've started bothering her and getting oozy/crusty again. What's that all about? They've been closed for three years with no activity since then. Does anyone have any insight/advice? I didn't think this would be an issue after being a non-issue for so long.

Edited by milovaný

No idea about it happening after so long without having had earrings in.

As for the not taking / healing, I had that happen to me and it was caused by a nickel allergy. FWIW ALL earrings backs {unless specially ordered} contain nickel, even those marked nickel free as the nickel free designation only applies to the posts, not the backs:glare:. I have to order my earrings special from a company that makes 100% nickel free jewelry, Simply Whispers.

As soon as I switched to the Simply Whispers earrings, my piercings finally healed and I haven't had a problem since.

One of my ears closed while pregnant with my son so I no longer bother with earrings -- obviously. The closed ear still fills up with gunk and oozes maybe every 6 weeks. This is 12 years later.

I had my pierced ears for over 20 years and I had the nickel allergy issue too. I didn't know about the backs--just knew most of my gold earrings bothered me! Thanks for that information. I always wondered what I was doing wrong. Thankfully my daughter does not want pierced ears!

No idea about it happening after so long without having had earrings in.

As for the not taking / healing, I had that happen to me and it was caused by a nickel allergy. FWIW ALL earrings backs {unless specially ordered} contain nickel, even those marked nickel free as the nickel free designation only applies to the posts, not the backs:glare:. I have to order my earrings special from a company that makes 100% nickel free jewelry, Simply Whispers.

As soon as I switched to the earrings, my piercings finally healed and I haven't had a problem since.

Thanks for this! We've noticed the same thing with one of our daughters. Maybe ordering from them will do the trick :)

Was she pierced with a needle or gun? This could explain why it never healed properly. How did you care for them?

Now that the hole is not being held open with something, dirt/bacteria/crud is getting sealed inside the hole and making it inflamed.

I'm getting my 4 holes repierced (they are 28 and 12 years old). As soon as my kids are old enough for a piercer to touch them with the needle, their holes are getting repuerced as well.