Menu

Fever, no fever, fever, no fever, cranky, happy, what is going on!!

We had a long week and as much as I tried, my poor kids just did not get enough sleep for three days. They were too wound up to fall asleep. DS is fine...DD however is a mess!!

She fell asleep in my moms lap for an hour on Saturday night and woke up with fever just under 102. Gave her tylenol, snuggled and watched a movie, put her to bed and she woke up back to normal. Last night, she got cranky and tired and the fever came back. Gave her motion, let her sleep for three hours, she was happy and fine. Woke up at 3 am with a fever again....tylenol, snuggles and a movie and we slept in the recliner. She woke up fine!!!

She has no other symptoms! No headache, body aches, no funny nose or congestion. I don't want to take her to the doctor because I dont want to expose her to other sick kids and get something else.

This is driving me crazy! Fine for 12 hours, down for 4....I am confining her to a chair and we are on our 6th viewing of lady and the tramp since 4 am!! Water and yogurt have been eaten, fruit and a vitamin are next. Maybe a grilled cheese :) I do believe she is falling asleep again!

Some things that I've encountered with my kids that can cause a fever without other obvious symptoms:

UTI

strep

ear infection

I think it would be very unusual for a child to have a 102 fever due to teething, even with molars.

My DS1 had fevers that were like 103-104 but would last just a few hours, with no other symptoms, and then he'd be totally fine, but i'd just keep an eye out that it isn't something that can be more "silent" symptom wise like a UTI.

Edited by Momof3littles

She fell asleep in my moms lap for an hour on Saturday night and woke up with fever just under 102. Gave her tylenol, snuggled and watched a movie, put her to bed and she woke up back to normal. Last night, she got cranky and tired and the fever came back. Gave her motion, let her sleep for three hours, she was happy and fine. Woke up at 3 am with a fever again....tylenol, snuggles and a movie and we slept in the recliner. She woke up fine!!!

She has no other symptoms! No headache, body aches, no funny nose or congestion. I don't want to take her to the doctor because I dont want to expose her to other sick kids and get something else.

This is driving me crazy! Fine for 12 hours, down for 4....I am confining her to a chair and we are on our 6th viewing of lady and the tramp since 4 am!! Water and yogurt have been eaten, fruit and a vitamin are next. Maybe a grilled cheese :) I do believe she is falling asleep again!

My 4 year old caught some kind of crazy virus and ran a fever for 16 days ending earlier this month. I took him to the doctor 3 times to rule various things out. Other than his WBC and his platelets being low they couldn't find anything. His fever would disappear part of each day. No other symptoms, rashes, etc besides being a bit tired and having deep dark circles under his eyes. He would vary between cranky and happy.

I've never had a child do that before. :confused:

She is currently eating a big lunch, yelling at bubby and happy and normal....no fever. It has been nearly 12 hours since any meds. We have a rehearsal to run tonight. I am taking the stroller, a pillow, blanket, motrin and tylenol....maybe if I am prepared, she will be fine :)

Has she had roseola yet? That commonly causes afternoon/evening fevers and extreme crankiness. The fever often is gone during the day, and the crankiness can improve then too. If she breaks out in a red rash in a day or two, then it was probably roseola. It's very, very common in babies/toddlers/preschoolers. Many or most older kids have already had it and are thus immune.

She was jumping rope at five am. It is nearly midnight and she is jumping rope again....she took a short nap this evening, and had a cranky spell. I don't think she actually had a fever again, but this has messed up her sleep patterns!!!