Menu

A sad day in Egypt...

That is just horrible

It really is. It's horrible to think that you have to actually have a protest to demand your rights to not be sexually assaulted! I can't even imagine what it's like to live there.

I hope they have the strength and courage to keep on fighting and standing up for themselves.

:iagree::iagree: Me too.

So awful. Well, during the Arab Spring there were people warning about what would fill the power vacuum in Egypt and cringing over chants of "This is what democracy looks like. " Yes, indeed. Democracy is mob rule - two wolves and one sheep deciding what's for dinner." Which is why we are a Republic and not a Democracy. I dread the things to come for the vulnerable members of Egyptian society. :(

So awful. Well, during the Arab Spring there were people warning about what would fill the power vacuum in Egypt and cringing over chants of "This is what democracy looks like. " Yes, indeed. Democracy is mob rule - two wolves and one sheep deciding what's for dinner." Which is why we are a Republic and not a Democracy. I dread the things to come for the vulnerable members of Egyptian society. :(

:(

Alas this is not the first time that mobs have assaulted women, remember this:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/04/28/cbs-reporter-talks-assault-reporting-uprisings-egypt/

I thought of Lara Logan when I first read the story I linked. If they are that brazen to do that to a woman journalist who is has connections I shudder to think what the unprotected average Egyptian woman must have to endure. :(

Sexual harrassment is very bad in Cairo... Although this surprised me. It's possible that Shafiq's supporters organized this as his platform is a return to the law and order of Mubarak's days (although there was rampant sexual harrassment then too).

As horrific as this is, it pales to the murder of women and children going on in Syria right now.

Sexual harrassment is very bad in Cairo... Although this surprised me. It's possible that Shafiq's supporters organized this as his platform is a return to the law and order of Mubarak's days (although there was rampant sexual harrassment then too).

As horrific as this is, it pales to the murder of women and children going on in Syria right now.

:( It breaks my heart how the most vulnerable people on the planet are also the most victimized. :(

I cannot get over the fact people are angry that a woman wants the right to not be sexually assaulted! I mean are you kidding me? What does that say about son and fathers that they are OK with their wives, daughters and moms being assaulted!

I know! It's appalling. Those poor poor women! :(

I cannot get over the fact people are angry that a woman wants the right to not be sexually assaulted! I mean are you kidding me? What does that say about son and fathers that they are OK with their wives, daughters and moms being assaulted!

You're assuming that's their motives which would be really surprising to me as somebody who has travelled to Egypt quite a few times. The far more likely reason for the attacks is to intimidate any future women protestors and their loved ones. It wouldn't have mattered why they were there...although I'm sure some loved the irony. :angry::mad: Army and gov't has used these tactics before...and worse. Women were a big part of the Jan 25 protests. :(

You're assuming that's their motives which would be really surprising to me as somebody who has travelled to Egypt quite a few times. The far more likely reason for the attacks is to intimidate any future women protestors and their loved ones. It wouldn't have mattered why they were there...although I'm sure some loved the irony. :angry::mad: Army and gov't has used these tactics before...and worse. Women were a big part of the Jan 25 protests. :(

:(