Menu

Need suggestion of reputable orphanage to donate

You you could check your local children's hospital or hospital. Ds6 has received some handmade items when he's been in (both in the ER and the regular hospital) and they've been treasured during recovery and beyond.

Or what about your local women's shelter? Or your local foster care system (this would fit the "orphan" category better)?

http://www.misericordia.org/

It is a home for developmentally delayed kids. You probably have a similar home in your area.

Another place I know of is http://www.mooseheart.org/ which is more of a "regular" kids home for orphaned or otherwise abandoned kids.

Your local social services agencies will know of the places in your geographic area that would appreciate blankets!

We know the retired Archbishop of Uganda (Anglican), who is involved with The Chain Foundation. They have orphans (AIDS related, mostly) and also a day school for around 36 blind children. If you pm me I can get you their info, or you can google it.

I don't know where you are, but the Medina Children's home is a very reputable organization.

http://www.medinachildrenshome.com/location.htm

If you're involved in a church, most of them know of good children's homes they support in some way. I'd ask at a church.

ETA: Our church also supports the Village of Hope in Ghana. I'm sure they'd appreciate blankets. If you're interested I can get you contact information. We have a group leaving to go over there in a few weeks.

A couple more local ideas for you: Our 4H club donates to a local shelter for women and children. And our church's quilting circle makes lap robes for a local nursing home/rehab center - maybe that's a possibility too? How great that your group is doing this!

In the last couple of years I was made aware of a very reputable organization that works with orphanages in Moldova. It's a 3rd world country right in Europe. It gets very cold in Moldova in the winter. The organization replaces the 50+ year old beds (soiled, broken, flat and very stiff), does sponsorships etc. I'm certain that they would gratefully receive blankets for the children. Most of the children own NOTHING. So, a cozy blanket, made with love would do wonders for their little hearts as well as warm them on very cold nights.

You can find out more about them at http://www.sweetsleep.org.

I haven't read the rest of the posts. I'm certain you'll get lots of responses full or great opportunities! There is plenty of need to keep the girls working!

blankets. Our Keepers at Home girls are wanting to make no-sew fleece blankets for orphan children this year, but I have no idea of any reputable organizations that this would benefit. Any thoughts?

TIA!

A woman who volunteered at our kids' orphanage in India is now the asst. manager of an orphanage in Tanzania. It is a MODEL orphanage -- the children recieve much more love and individual care than they might receive at a typical orphanage.

It's called "Forever Angels" (foreverangels.org). They would appreciate any donations you can give, and one of their requested donations is for fitted "cot" (crib) sheets, so it sounds like bedding is something they can use.

If you'd like to know more about the orphanage, check out their website. If you'd like to know more about the people who run it, feel free to email me.

Lisa