Menu

Does anyone have experience with Memoria Press 1st or 2nd grade packages?

What would you do in the situation below...  

1. 1. What would you do in the situation below...

• Memoria Press 1st Grade
    • Memoria Press 2nd Grade
    • A Combo of the Two

I have asked a similar question over at the MP boards, but still need more help/input :001_unsure:

My middle son is going to the 2nd grade...He just learned to read this past year, but is still learning...I want to start him in one of MP's packages, but I am torn between the 1st and 2nd grade packages...He is an older 2nd grader (will turn 8 in September)...He can read "Little Bear" but cannot read "Little House in the Big Woods"...He is using New American Cursive now, and is doing pretty good with it...He would also need to do Rod & Staff's 2nd grade math, not 1st grade...

So my dilemma is what to use?...Should I do a combo of both packages or just go with one or the other?...If you have used one or either, what do you think?

Edited by TheAutumnOak

I'd use the second grade package, but work through the 1st grade readers over the summer. You can always work those second grade readers slower than the schedule for the beginning of the year. If he can read Little Bear, move on to Blueberries for Sal and just keep going until fall. My dd started with Little Bear at Christmas and has now finished all of the MP first grade books. It was hard at first, but she loved reading real books instead of readers.

Little Bear is the first book of their 1st grade package. Can he read the books towards the end of the 1st grade package? Can he not read the words or is it the amount of words that is the problem? MP really spaces out the amount they read each day, so you could either compress the 1st grade readings or start with the second grade and read them slowly (a couple of pages a day). I would start reading through the 1st grade books (without comp guides) over the summer and try to be on target to start the 2nd grade books in the fall (with guides).

My current 2nd grader would have really struggled with the lit in MP 2nd grade. She did fine w/R&S 2nd grade math and English. So the 2nd grade pack w/1st readers would have been our style for her 2nd grade year. Sonlight 2nd grade actually starts w/the Little Bear and other readers and I like their philosophy for lit better for my particular 2nd grader as opposed to MP's which is to push them, so I used their 2nd grade lit list instead of MPs for mine.

Even though we read together and she to me almost every day this year, she is just now at the end of 2nd grade able to comfortably read Magic Treehouse style chapter books. Little House would not have happened for her. It would have been too big of a push. I am completely happy with her progress and she will still be a "3rd grader" next year doing R&S math 3 and English 3 and spelling 3, but I will stick to easier reading than MP's 3rd grade.

I haven't used their guides at all, so I don't know how they space them out or assign the reading. It might be doable for yours. But with my slow and steady reader, I wouldn't have pushed.

I would do the first grade package and just add harder readers as he improves. It's better for a child's self esteem to be promoted to harder material than to be bumped back down. MP is a little more advanced too, so he would be doing things equivalent to 2nd grade in most other subjects.

We did much of the 1st grade package, and I would place by writing level, rather than reading level. The reading can always be done together aloud or with echo reading. Ds struggled far more with the amount of writing, so I'd place by writing ability.

If you contact Tanya on the MP forums, they will customize a package for you.

If you are not starting 2nd grade until August, I would work with him on reading until mid-July, then reevaluate his placement.

Can they customize the lesson plans - or am I (of course) hoping for too much? Lol.

Can they customize the lesson plans - or am I (of course) hoping for too much? Lol.

They actually do have most of the lesson plans separated...You can get individual lesson plans for some things, you just have to call and ask for the one that you want or contact Tanya...I have the 1st grade lesson plans and the K lesson plans, but will need the math plans for 2nd grade because most likely we are going to end up doing the 1st grade package with the 2nd grade math...

Tanya told me a short while back that they were planning to have each subject's plans for each grade for purchase individually at some point. She told me to keep checking the website. I haven't seen them but they may have them in the works or some already available if you ask.