Menu

Math notebook

This may seem dumb, but I'm not sure what to use. We are doing catch up using Lial's introductory algebra...

We are using a spiral notebook, but when he has corrections, I have him do these on a separate sheet of graph paper outside the notebook, and consequently I have a notebook with sheets of paper stuck into it.

This does not look very good.

Do you use: Spiral or loose leaf?

graph or notebook paper?

What has worked best for you in terms of sections, etc..

Both my son and I are organizationally challenged! thanks for the help.

Ame

This will be the first year that we need one (we've used workbooks up until this point). I wonder if looseleaf paper in a folder (the kind with a binder in the middle) would work. That way you could put items in the pockets until you periodically open up the middle and add paper or shuffle it around? Or a notebook with pockets?

We will probably get an X-Y axis stamp instead of separate sheets of graph paper...

for all of our girls for their math problems. I try to have them do their problems mostly on the left-hand side of each page, so the problems tend to take up a lot of room. However, that leaves room on the right-hand side so that I can make corrections. Sometimes I make corrections for them to look over, but usually I try to go over the corrections with them.

When I'm done correcting each page, I make a check-mark on the upper right (or left) hand corner of the page. In fact, I do this with all of their work---grammar, vocabulary, etc. Well--except for papers. Those are graded differently. The check marks help me remember which pages I've corrected.

HTH!

Added later: One additional thing we did this year with Chalkdust Geometry is that I had my oldest take her own notes in the math notebook, because I felt that the textbook needed additional explanation. This helped quite a bit!

We did math notebooks a bit differently and called it a "Math Toolbox" for what that is worth. First, it was in a three ring binder and the objective was to generate a resource of "rules" and sample solved problems in algebra etc that he could reference as needed. We also recorded all the theorems, postulates etc. for geometry and trig and onward. Problems are always worked on graph paper. I found that the act of writing it all out and having one place to seek answers or a refresher helped a great deal. How many times does it take to memorize all those formulas?!

Chances are this is afar from what you wanted but just thought I'd throw it out there.

Mary

Through algebra we used spiral notebooks and skipped a page between lessons for corrections. Once we began geometry, I switched to loose-leaf paper in a binder, mostly because I wanted earlier work to be easily accessible at any time. We have both gotten to like the binder because now there is a place for all of the extra worksheets that I give her!

We use a spiral of graph paper. It usually takes two per year. We do not go on to the next lesson until all corrections are finished in the last. In math it is important to master one skill before moving on to another. Math always builds on itself. I draw a line at the end of the lesson and list the problems that require corrections. When a lesson is totally completed and corrected I mark it so that we know we are done with that page by cutting the top right hand corner off. When it is time to start the next lesson it is easy to find the next page. I also used colored ink to check work - a different color each time. That way you can tell what was checked the first time, second time, etc. Hope this is helpful!

I purchase folders and big binders (like the three inch kind) for all of ds's papers for school. It makes it easier for me to keep it together for our reviews. I just buy graph paper that is punched. I put all his test and everything in there. Then at the end of the year I pull it out and use those hard cardboard spindle binders to file it away.

This will be the first year that we need one (we've used workbooks up until this point). I wonder if looseleaf paper in a folder (the kind with a binder in the middle) would work. That way you could put items in the pockets until you periodically open up the middle and add paper or shuffle it around? Or a notebook with pockets?

We will probably get an X-Y axis stamp instead of separate sheets of graph paper...

The graph paper idea is not just for graphing assignments in math. It also works well with any math problem b/c it helps them line up their other math problems (one number per square - line up units, tens, hundreds, etc - place numbers in the appropriate place in long division). I start my dc on graph paper in 4th grade - before that they write too big! It seems to help all students all the way through high school. Sorry about going on so long about graph paper - I guess it is one of my personal soap boxes! LOL!