Menu

What does this mean - "This job must be a payback position."

This statement is in a job description for a Development Director position and is followed by this statement:

"To sustain this position the incumbent must at a minimum:

*Bring in new funds equal to or greater than the position outlay the first year *Bring in new funds equal to or greater than two times the position outlay the second year.

*Bring in new funds equal to or greater than four times the position outlay every year after the first two years.

So, what do you think they mean by a "payback position?"

My mother works in development and my understanding is that this is relatively common. Honestly, I think it makes sense. Your primary job is to bring in money from donors. If you haven't even brought in your own salary, then you have not only not done your job, then you have created a loss for the organization. Of course, it's pressure and sometimes it's not your fault - if you're raising money for a poor organization or if the economy is in the tank (which is obviously is) then those are factors beyond your control.

Thanks! Although it makes sense, I'm not sure I want the pressure of my entire salary resting on how much money I bring in.

My first job 15 years ago was in development. It's really not that hard to make back your salary. I can't imagine not making it back with a dinner event, golf outing, winter appeal combo. Throw in one or two large, cultivated donors every year or two and you'd be set. Oh, and grants of course. :confused:

Edited by Sneezyone

It's not a job to take the first go around in development unless they can show you in the hiring process that they have sufficient donor streams to grow and increase and you can see a clear, sellable case for support to new donors. Since this is the director position, it sounds like this make be their fist development hire or that they development office is unproven. I have worked in this arena my whole career. Development is not a job to jump into without serious vetting of the organization. Burnout is high, turnover is high (avg tenture is 18 months.) It is a dev. officer's market as far as hiring goes, orgs frequently cycle through even great development officers. and organizations have a tendency to put all the blame they can find on the development department. I was very successful at it and raised more than 10-15 times my annual salary each year (in under 2 years on the job) but there is a reason I opened my own consulting and writing business 5 months ago. I am much happier now.

If you have not worked in development before, read up before you start. Also, read everything (including the code of ethics) on the AFP website. Never work any development or grant-writing job on commission. It is a sign of an unprofessional, unfunded org if they ask and it is a violation of the ethics of the profession.

Edited by kijipt