Menu

Where to begin with IEW

Where do I begin with IEW with a 6th grade boy who has not had a lot of success writing? He did Writing Tales 1 in 4th grade. WWE 4 (WWS 1 was too much and we backtracked) in 5th grade.

We are going to try IEW but I have no idea where to begin. It is too expensive a program to risk ordering the wrong set. I spent a lot of time at their New to IEW section and honestly ended up with more answers than questions. Should I start him at Level A since that's 3rd-5th and he is behind? Or is it okay to start at Level B? And no matter where I start what are the best options?

Any advice would be much appreciated. We have found great curricula in almost every other subject area but writing is proving to be our nemesis.

We are slowly working through SWI-A with our 5th grader and he really enjoys it. It is very step-by-step method working first through key word outlines (summarizing passages of non-fiction text), re-writing in the student's own words with lots of practice and reinforcement, ending with a cleaned-up final draft. Then comes the section on writing stories, followed by lots of practice. Outlining is covered, along with note taking and toward the end, report and composition writing.

The criticism used against IEW is that the "formula" method of teaching writing creates cookie-cutter student prose. I will be working with our son on his own stylistic technique later, but having a framework on which to build at this age is just what he needs. The DVDs are helpful to both of us. As far as cost, I bought our set used from this forum and am happy all around. :001_smile:

We are slowly working through SWI-A with our 5th grader and he really enjoys it. It is very step-by-step method working first through key word outlines (summarizing passages of non-fiction text), re-writing in the student's own words with lots of practice and reinforcement, ending with a cleaned-up final draft. Then comes the section on writing stories, followed by lots of practice. Outlining is covered, along with note taking and toward the end, report and composition writing.

The criticism used against IEW is that the "formula" method of teaching writing creates cookie-cutter student prose. I will be working with our son on his own stylistic technique later, but having a framework on which to build at this age is just what he needs. The DVDs are helpful to both of us. As far as cost, I bought our set used from this forum and am happy all around. :001_smile:

The bolded part is exactly why I avoided IEW for this long. But I have an Aspie and I am realizing that he needs formula. If that's the path I need to take to produce a good writer then I am okay with it. Thanks for your input.

HI there! I have a 6th grade girl who came out of public school and just could not outline or know where to begin summarizing, etc. We took the suggestions of the IEW Yahoo board and started this year with the Student Intensive B (I think this is for 6-8th grade). You can check out the differences between the SWI A and SWI B (there is a checklist somewhere that shows which is covered in which- I think that might be one of the files in the yahoo IEW families group. Level B starts out pretty much the same as level A with keyword outlining. The source material used will be different. But one thing that I am doing is using SWI B this year ALSO with my 3rd grader (dyslexic/dysgraphic) because you can tailor the program and print out the level A reenforcement paragraphs along with SWI B. Does this make sense? So instead of having to buy 2 programs, I am able to use it with both my kiddos, thus saving me $$$. You can adjust his workload, too, if you go with SWI B. For example, all the dress ups that are introduced (the style techniques) you could just implement more slowly. I've found one of the great things about IEW is how easy it is to adapt or tailor it to each child :)

I hope this makes sense. I felt I was rambling--- but the IEW Yahoo board is great if you have more questions.

Paula

I used parts of B with my 3rd grader with success, so I would recommend going with B for a 5th grader. The models will be a little more advanced so he won't feel like they are too babyish. You can adapt it to his pace, slowing down or speeding up as needed. You can use his science and history reading for more practice or if he doesn't like a particular model.

If you aren't adamant about him watching the DVD on his own you could simply get the TWSS and learn it yourself then use the sample schedule in the manual and plug in your own assignments. (This is what I'm doing with my 3rd, 6th and 8th graders now). The TWSS really provides EVERYTHING you need to teach all grade levels. If you were going to purchase both anyway I would suggest getting the TWSS first, watch and read through it and see if you might be able to do without the SWI.

If your funds are tight you might want to purchase the "Structure & Style Overview DVD' for $10.00.

Also, purchase "All Things Fun and Fascinating" This option will not have Mr. Pudewa teaching, but you will be the teacher. Then if it works out, next school year go with SWI B.

I would suggest starting with A. The source material for B will have quite a bit more information, which could be overwhelming. I'm making that recommendation based on what you said about WWE 4 being a better fit than WWS 1.

FWIW-I had the same reservations about the formulaic aspect of IEW, but it hasn't been a problem at all. The formula is comforting for kids who need it. It actually allows my ds (not Aspie but maybe borderline) to feel confident enough writing that some personality is starting to come out.

Does one really need the TSSW? As a WAHM with a chronic ill child with several LDs I can not see me taking the time to actually doing it. I was interested for my 6th grader DD to use the program. Also funds are very tight.

Otherwise what does everyone think of Essentials in Writting?

I need something that has its own instruction and is pretty much hands off.