Menu

Anyone have Ikea's Ektorp sofa?

I'm looking for an inexpensive sofa to replace our ancient, shredded leather one. I checked these out when I was there, but was wondering how they hold up? I'm not looking for something to last a lifetime, but to at least look decent for 5 years or so. There's no TV in the room it will be in, so I'm thinking it will have average use.

Edited by ksr5377

We have the 3-seater in our sitting-room/playroom. It's almost three years old now and still looks good and is very comfortable (although the cushions have shed a lot of feathers). We've been so happy with it that I'm actually having the 2-seater delivered on Thursday, to replace a 20 year old Ikea Klippan sofa which I've had since I bought my first house :001_smile:.

we have the sectional one in our family/tv room and it is comfortable. We have the dark blue one and I have washed the covers several times due to cat throw up etc and it still looks good. It was also the easiest IKEA piece ever to put together, 3 sections that just hooked into each other, like a giant hook and eye. I put it together by myself and it took only seconds to do.

:bigear:

We are currently redoing our family room and my office and we are looking at this one but in green.

Hey! I just bought that! :D It's sitting in my living room right now, in boxes, waiting to be assembled! Now that I hear how easy it is, I might not even wait for DH to come home! :lol:

OP, we have the Ektorp Jennylund chair in white. Bought it for DD's nursery before she was born. We can't believe how well it has held up. So comfy! Easy to wash. Cheap to buy a new cover for it. So this weekend I bought the sectional and a matching Ektorp armchair for our new homeschool room. I am ridiculously excited (as you can probably tell :tongue_smilie:)!

We are a family of 7 and we have the sectional with the tan cover. Love it! Totally holds up to kids jumping on it. I do recommend getting the washable as opposed to dry clean only covers. I wash them in my regulars washer, dry on low for a bit and then hang over a rack to finish. I find the cushions need to be rotate regularly to keep them fluffy. But, we do it at least once a week. We love our sofa. It is pretty easy to move since it comes in two parts. We have had ours for going on 5 years now.

REALLY? I love how the white look but can't imagine....do you just bleach them?

For our white Jennylund chair, you just wash them in regular detergent with whatever stain remover you would regularly use. The fabric is almost denim like and washes up beautifully. The tag says don't use bleach. Once, when a cover was stained to the point that nothing but bleach would save it, I did use bleach. The covers came out of the wash clean but with some yellowish stains that I assume were caused by the bleach (maybe a reaction with the zipper?). So, I have never bleached my cover again and I won't be bleaching the new covers either. That said, the white covers are the cheapest there are. The Ektorp Jennylund chair and regular chair covers are each $29 to replace (I've done it 3x in almost 8 years with our Jennylund) and the sectional is $99. At those prices, I could recover them yearly without too much angst, but I haven't had to do that with the Jennylund so I doubt I will have to do it with the living room pieces either.

Hey! I just bought that! :D It's sitting in my living room right now, in boxes, waiting to be assembled! Now that I hear how easy it is, I might not even wait for DH to come home! :lol:

OP, we have the Ektorp Jennylund chair in white. Bought it for DD's nursery before she was born. We can't believe how well it has held up. So comfy! Easy to wash. Cheap to buy a new cover for it. So this weekend I bought the sectional and a matching Ektorp armchair for our new homeschool room. I am ridiculously excited (as you can probably tell :tongue_smilie:)!

you will have to post a pic for me so I can see how it looks :)