Menu

What can I make to use up sour milk? (Sell by date was 5/26)

just about anything that calls for yoghurt, or sour cream or buttermilk.....

i'd make muffins or coffee cake, especially sour cream chocolate chip coffee cake.....

but i googled sour milk recipes and tons came up.

have fun!

ann

I always thought that it was safe to use soured raw milk but that pasteurized milk did not sour, it spoiled and wasn't safe to use. :confused:

That's what I was wondering! We do have raw milk but this is some non-raw that we had on hand.

Shoot-I was hoping there were lots of recipes (like bread pudding, etc) I could use it up in because I *have* buttermilk I can use for pancakes and all that stuff that call for sour milk.

:iagree:

Pasteurized milk spoils. It goes rotten. If it smells off, don't use it for anything.

:iagree: However, milk should be good at least 7 days past the sell-by date. That's a shelf expiration, not a use expiration.

Wow, I just tasted it and it is not even that sour yet! I think I might try it in tapioca pudding and possibly a bread pudding too, to use it up.

I remembered that this is the local milk that they say is slow pasteurized-I always kind of doubted that-or that it would make much difference-but I guess it must be because the little bit of other (ultra-pasteurized) milk I have that the date says 5/28 IS sour already.