Menu

Henle or Latiana Christiana for 13yo first time to study latin..

I have heard that you can start Henle first year latin if you are an older student (13) just starting. Is this true? I was going to do Latiana Christiana 1 and just progress quickly with it, and then do LCII and on to Henle. I am also doing this with my 9 and 12yo, so I wanted to try and keep them together, but am wondering if I should seperate them.

Thoughts?

Henle would be perfect for a 13yo. I'd suggest using the Memoria Press guide, which moves at a slower pace and offers plenty of practice and review. I also use the MP Henle Quiz packet and the tests, which are available through OLVS

I think LC would be better for the 9yo., but you could attempt Henle, with modification. I'd take the MP guide and slow it down, taking 2-3 weeks for each "week" in the guide.

If you go w/LC, Henle will provide the "big picture" for you, which is somewhat lacking in LC I & II.

I did one semester of Henle with ds, then 16. Neither of us had had any Latin. It's not that hard, really--limited vocabulary, pretty straightforward and no frills.

But I wish I had started, even then, with LC and just gone quickly. It would have made Henle much less intimidating, and we wouldn't have gotten stuck. So my advice is to keep them together and go gently. Your 13 year old will have plenty of time (4-5 years, right?) to go thru all 4 Henle's, if that's your goal. LC provides a good foundation and makes Henle easier--at least, that's what I've heard.

I didn't have the background of Latina Christiana because we depended on the audio and flash cards to memorize so much of the basics.

I suggest doing Henle with 13 & 12 yo with the MP study guide and LC with the 9yo using the LC audio cd's for Henle whenever needed for pronunciation and drill for all your dc.

It also helps to know your English grammar when doing Henle. If you don't know it then Henle Latin will be harder.

I did Henle and LC1 last year for ds(16) and dd (11). LC1 seemed to be selected vocab and declensions from Henle without the explanations. Henle is much better at explaining the grammar, which LC1 (student text) didn't explain at all.

So, if you decide to do LC1, get Henle 1 and Henle grammar for the explanantions.

Henle also uses the vocab in sentences and paragraphs, even if they are all about Romans and Gauls. LC1 concentrates more on derivatives, which I would have thought helpful but didn't interest dd at all.

I did LCI and LCII this year with my kids when they were 12 and 14....we did the DVD program (which I feel is the only way to go with this program) along with the Lucerne Activity Book. I felt it was a very gentle approach giving my kids (and myself) confidence in our ability to learn Latin. We are now going on with Cambridge Latin in the Fall.

My suggestion is to start at the beginning REGARDLESS of age . Right now I am using Prima Latina with my 10 and 8yr old daughters . They are breezing through it pretty quickly BUT they are very confident in their Latin ability . I think starting with LC1 with a 13year old is a good start .

I agree the DVD program makes this program much easier to use and especially if you have no experience with Latin . My daughters like the DVD and it makes it easier for me to learn and teach the Latin to them . I HIGHLY recommend them.

I will say though at age 32 I've learned a thing or two from just the Prima Latina . So even going back that far wouldn't hurt either . I think your 9yr old would benefit more from starting with PL though first . I'm sure you don't want to be juggling two programs . But we do it here so its possible .

Henle would be my hands-down choice between these two. I think the lack of explanation in LC (which is terrific for younger elementary students) would be maddeningly frustrating for a 12+ year old. I know *I* find LC frustrating, because I need to know WHY I'm doing what I'm doing. Memorizing "in a vacuum" is very difficult for me.

Henle is "starting at the beginning." And you can go as quickly or slowly as you like thru the text. The explanations are fantastic. The exercises are clear. It really is a wonderful, inexpensive, stand-the-test-of-time text (albeit a bit dry ... just keeping it real here!! ;-)

Either choice, really, is fine. Tho, if you do choose to do LC first, I think you should perhaps consider having the older students complete both LCs in one year. And have Henle on hand to give you the explanations that are lacking in LC.

I vote to start with Henle. Henle may sound intimidating but it really isn't if you break it down into small parts. Just don't go to another section without mastering the last one. I really like it. I have the Memoria and MODG guide and we go between but sometimes (a lot) slowing down if I notice my son doesn't get it still. I just make my son write down the declensions the DOwling way, go over the vocabulary daily, and it seems to help cement those in his mind.

And the most important thing for me is just to keep on moving on day by day with the text.