Menu

Anyone know of a secular online science course for 9th grade and up!

I thought my 2 rising 9th graders were going to take science classes offered to homeschoolers at a local private school. Just found out today that the school has discontinued the classes after 10 years of offering them to the homeschool community. I guess that is why no one would email me back from the school for the past week or so. Using this school for high school science had been my plan for years, so I really haven't worried about science courses beyond middle school. Both girls are interested in science and we are working through CK12's Earth Science Honors for Middle School now and will continue throughout the summer.

Really anxious to find something for the fall though. Most all of the local coops I have been able to find offer science using Apologia which isn't an option for us. I was so looking forward to not having to deal with science and math for these 2 in the fall. ( I plan to have them take Jann in Tx Geometry class.) Now I am panicking at the thought of having to plan out science.

Thanks for any help. This is my first post on the High School Board. :tongue_smilie: I can't believe they are getting ready to start High School.

Cindy

Mom to 2 girls and teacher/friend to a 3rd

This looks promising. I hadn't intended for them to take Physics first but maybe it would work for ninth grade and I can hopefully line up someone local for Biology and Chemistry. Have you used any of his courses? The offering of an Honors option is intriguing. I will read through the website carefully over the weekend.

Cindy

PS If anyone has any other ideas for hs science online I am all ears. I would also love to hear about your experiences with the Derrick Owens courses.

Thanks again.

This looks promising. I hadn't intended for them to take Physics first but maybe it would work for ninth grade and I can hopefully line up someone local for Biology and Chemistry. Have you used any of his courses? The offering of an Honors option is intriguing...If anyone has any other ideas for hs science online I am all ears. I would also love to hear about your experiences with the Derrick Owens courses.

We use Derek Owens' Physics for a younger, mathy child but at a slower pace. My son enjoys the lectures very much and I am confident that he will be well prepared to take Thinkwell's calculus-based physics later.

This is how my son does it:

1. Watches the lectures and completes notes in the workbook (I opted to buy the printed version from Lulu, there are two workbooks for Physics -- Semester One and Semester Two).

2. Son works on the practice problems. Derek also has videos for some of the practice problems. Son checks solutions to practice problems from a link online and corrects mistakes if any.

3. He completes the assigned homework which I scan and email to Derek for grading.

4. Derek responds, usually very quickly, with graded homework and the link for the updated online grade book. Son reviews mistakes if any and corrects them.

5. Upon completing the chapter, my son works on the labs (a few labs require 2 people).

6. I scan and email completed lab report to Derek and #4 above is repeated.

7. Son takes the chapter test. Repeat of #6.

Derek opens all the coursework to you upon registration ($15) and you pay the monthly fee (for us it is only $29/mth because my son is working slowly) only when Derek grades the work.

Don't be intimidated by the number of lectures per chapter. Each lecture is quite short.

For more details, see Sue's post or search for reviews by abbeyej!

The girls will have completed Algebra I in the fall. Do you think this is enough math to get them through the course? Is your child doing the Honors level? I hate to bog them down, but had hoped to do all Honors level science. I admit I have never studied Physics and it is a little intimidating to me to consider doing it first, but just browsing through the sample material on the site it looked doable for 9th.

Thanks so much for the information. I am trying to process all of our options, and I am a planner who hates to have to change plans. :001_smile:

Cindy H.

The girls will have completed Algebra I in the fall. Do you think this is enough math to get them through the course? Is your child doing the Honors level? I hate to bog them down, but had hoped to do all Honors level science. I admit I have never studied Physics and it is a little intimidating to me to consider doing it first, but just browsing through the sample material on the site it looked doable for 9th.

Thanks so much for the information. I am trying to process all of our options, and I am a planner who hates to have to change plans. :001_smile:

Cindy H.

Yes, he is doing Honors. It is hard but as I said, he is doing it at a slower pace so I may not be the best person to answer about the Honors level. :) Yes, Algebra I is enough math. There is a small amount of Trig involved but it is not yet overwhelmingly difficult for my son.

All the best with your decision!

My ds completed the Honors course in 7 months which saved us money. Derek will let you start out in Honors and if you feel it is too difficult, you can change levels.

We did request 10 more labs as the course only includes 10 labs. Derek is great--very reliable and helpful.

For more details, see Sue's post

We used Derek Owens for 9th grade Physics. I highly recommend him. Great quality. I have a degree in math, but never took physics in high school and dropped out of physics very quickly in college (it's still the goal of my life to take physics and pass it one day).

Ds eventually (after many, many months) officially chose the honors class. He wound up with a B in the class. He rarely spent more than 45 min/day (*). He is a quick worker, though. He says that Derek Owens Physics was much more difficult than Earth Science this year at the CC.

If you (or anyone else) would like to see a sample hw, lab, test, feel free to PM me with your email address (I don't think email works on this forum anymore), and I will be happy send you a sample.

(*) 45min/day was enough. I tutor math with GED students. Generally, after working with me for 45min, the student's head is ready to explode, and they want to escape. That's kinda how Physics was for ds.

HTH!

I thought my 2 rising 9th graders were going to take science classes offered to homeschoolers at a local private school. d

I suspect I received the same email you did about the FCDS no longer offering classes. And had a similar reaction and signed my son up for geometry from Jann in Tx.

I don't know where you live in NC but these classes sound good and are secular. A few years ago, before they offered full courses, my daughter took a one day seminar in biology there and really learned a lot.

http://ccee.unc.edu/youth/classes/

Our homeschool group has a weekly science lesson in Kernersville. The teacher might be interested in organizing something more specifically for high school biology. I am pretty sure she posts on this board and may see your question. If you would like her contact info, pm me.

My dream is to set up a local secular co-op someday. But I haven't done it yet.

Ruth in NC

Guest mcbphd

We weren't crazy about Keystone. We're doing Thinkwell chemistry and it is pretty tough! But it's well organized and we like it better than keystone.