Menu

Please critique my curriculum for 2nd and 3rd

Hello, I am new to homeschooling and hoped you could check over my curriculum choices for the coming year. Please feel free to tell me what I am missing.

Second Grade

Saxon Math 2

GWG 2

STOW 1

HWOT Cursive Handwriting

McGraw Hill Reading Level 2

McGraw Hill Spelling Level 2

Prima Latina

Spelling from private tutor

Science: undecided

Free and family reading from STOW and WTM recommendations

Extra Curricular: AWANA, brownies, and baton

Third Grade

Saxon Math 3 (seems below her level might move on to 5/4)

GWG 3

STOW 1

McGraw Hill Reading Level 3

McGraw Hill Spelling Level 3

Prima Latina

Spelling from private tutor

Science: undecided

Guitar when she regains use of her hand

Free and family reading from STOW and WTM recommendations

Extra Curricular: AWANA and brownies (Basketball when she regains use of her hand)

Handwriting: Dd had an accident leaving her unable to use her right hand. We will have to start printing with the left hand and then move to HWOT Cursive Handwriting.

Any input is GREATLY appreciated!!

Your choices are great Michele!

You may want to add some music appreciation and artist study. There are many ways to do this. Ours is to have an artist and composer of the month. I download paintings from Artchive and put them up on the wall. We then get books from the library about the artist. There's a free intro to picture study available from http://www.currclick.com at the moment.

For composer study we also get books and listen to that particular composer's music while doing crafts.

We've really enjoyed SOTW. The activity guide is fantastic. See the link to the Yahoo group in my signature for timeline and memory cards for SOTW1&2 and worksheets for SOTW2.

I hope your daughter is able to use her hand soon.

I would probably start your 3rd grader on some kind of writing program, not handwriting, but something that she is composing her own sentances, even if someone else is writing them for her.

I also think some art and music appreciation might be needed, but it isn't that important.

For science we are using the schedules from easyclassical.com.

Thanks for the suggestions so far! I have been reading the posts about WWE and I think we might give it a try. I'm going to start checking into your art and music appreciation and science suggestions.

Hannah, do I join the yahoo group to see the lists?

Thanks again!

I think your schedule sounds great! Are you using the AG for SOTW?

Also, have you seen Hannah's SOTW timeline cards and history sentences/cards? THey are beautiful, and she even has a template where you can add in more of your choice from Yahoo images or whatever--all free.

Have fun!

Can I send my 3rd grader to your house instead of public school?:D

Sorry, the tutor is for spanish class that was a typo. I have a friend from Spain who teaches semi-private spanish classes.

Lucky you! That makes more sense. I wondered why no one else thought it a bit odd to have second and third grade children go to a private tutor for spelling.:) Have a great year and don't take it so seriously that you forget to just have fun with your little people. I know it's a cliche, but the oft-spoken thought, "It goes too fast!", really is true.

That looks great to me. Funny, my boys will be in 2nd and 3rd as well.

We are using Saxon also.

I was going to start my 3rd grader on Writing Strands (which I already own), but I may just use Evan Moor's "How to Report on Books" (which I already own) instead and start formal writing in the 4th. I was thinking of him writing a few of these for various books he reads. He already writes and tells lots of great stories.

My boys are studying vertebrates this year for science.

I would probably cut this and stick with the additional reading in the SOTW activity guide and lots of fun library books.

I agree with you. I bought some of the early lever reader compilations at thrift stores because I was able to get 10 favorite picture books in one volume for a few dimes, but as the books get older, I noticed only parts of a chapter book were included. What is the point of that? Who wants to only read the fourth chapter of a great book?