Menu

Moths in the pantry - suggestions?

They're probably looking for a new home. I honestly don't know it'll the adults even eat, or if they're like luna moths and just live to lay eggs.

Vacuum and spray/wipe out the cabinets, then get the moth traps from the hardware store, and freeze any dry goods when you bring them in.

I hate those things. :glare:

buy a couple of the traps, they can really help.

I am in the same situation. I have been through everything and there are still a few around.

Oh, look under things that are not food related. Like, behind the clock hanging on the wall, and pictures. I found a little 'nest' of them (shudder) on a clean washcloth in the linen closet. I have no idea what they were eating. I thought they were grain moths!

blech!

Moths also come in bird seed and pet food. I had a horrible problem several years ago. Cleaned everything and set out those pheromone traps. I read online that moth larva can be found in bird seed. Sure enough, I had an open bag of bird seed in my pantry. Threw the bird seed out, and I haven't seen a moth since.

I just spray and wipe out with my regular all-purpose cleaner. I think bleach is probably overkill in this area. (bonus: I like Mrs Meyers lavender, so that might deter them from flying back into the cabinets... Or not. )

They like ANY pantry goods, just about. They annoy me to the point that all bulk grains, nuts, seeds and dried fruit get detailed to the freezer and we just keep "working quantities" in the cupboard, sealed in quart or half gallon mason jars. If one of the little @!$&"?&! comes through the deep freeze, they're sealed in pne jar and out of the others.